Optimizing PCB Design: Choosing Between SD and MicroSD Connectors

• Thread starter j777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sd
In summary, the conversation discusses the viability of mounting an SD card connector with a metal frame over vias that are covered with soldermask. The speaker suggests consulting with an assembly house for their guidelines, and considering factors such as electromigration and noise coupling. They also mention a specific connector (ALPS SCDA series) with standoffs for spacing. The speaker also mentions their progress on their board and their decision to use a microSD connector instead, citing cost and space efficiency.
j777
Hello,

If vias are covered with soldermask is it OK to mount an SD card connector with a metal frame over the top of them?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
j777 said:
Hello,

If vias are covered with soldermask is it OK to mount an SD card connector with a metal frame over the top of them?

Thanks

That would generally be a question for your assembly house. They will have "Manufacturability Guidelines" that cover things like spacings, soldermask rules, etc.

If you're doing it on your own, consider things like electromigration issues (yes, soldermask has pinholes in it generally), noise coupling, etc.

Thanks berkeman.

Better safe than sorry...I found a connector made by ALPS (their SCDA series) that has "standoffs" which space the connector off the board 1.8mm.

j777 said:
Thanks berkeman.

Better safe than sorry...I found a connector made by ALPS (their SCDA series) that has "standoffs" which space the connector off the board 1.8mm.

That sounds good. So are you pretty far along with your board now?

If you are making 50 of them use Kapton tape to improve the separation. If you are making 50k of the boards then move the vias if you can

That sounds good. So are you pretty far along with your board now?

I'm almost finished with it. Well at least my first attempt; I've never attempted a board as complex as this one so I wouldn't be surprised if I have to make some changes and build another prototype.

Just in case anybody is interested I ended up going with a microSD connector because they are $1 in small quantities, use much less board space (now I can fit it on top and avoid SMT on the bottom of the board), and industrial grade microSD cards are approx. half the cost of equivalent SD cards.

1. What are Vias Under SD Card Connector?

Vias are small holes that are drilled into the PCB (printed circuit board) to create electrical connections between different layers of the board. In the case of Vias Under SD Card Connector, these vias are specifically located underneath the SD card connector on the PCB.

2. Why are Vias Under SD Card Connector important?

Vias Under SD Card Connector are important because they allow for a more compact and efficient design of the PCB. By having the vias located directly under the SD card connector, it eliminates the need for long traces on the board, which can cause signal interference and decrease the overall performance of the device.

3. What is the purpose of having Vias Under SD Card Connector?

The main purpose of having Vias Under SD Card Connector is to provide a direct and efficient connection between the SD card and the rest of the circuitry on the PCB. This allows for faster data transfer and better signal integrity, resulting in improved performance of the device.

4. How are Vias Under SD Card Connector created?

Vias Under SD Card Connector are created during the PCB manufacturing process. The holes are drilled into the board and then filled with conductive material, usually copper, to create the electrical connection between the different layers of the board.

5. Are there any potential issues with Vias Under SD Card Connector?

While Vias Under SD Card Connector offer many benefits, there can be potential issues if they are not properly designed and implemented. The vias can cause signal interference if they are too close together or if they are not properly shielded. It is important to work with an experienced PCB designer to ensure that the vias are placed and designed correctly for optimal performance.