1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibrating a charged block

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1

GENIERE

Science Advisor

My questions follow this short preface re: attached photos.

Sometime ago in the mid 1960's, a friend had access to a linear accelerator. In the very late evening, we irradiated several plastic blocks of the dimensions ~10x10x2 cm. Individually, the plastic blocks were in a10 MeV electron beam (intensity forgotten) for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, using a grounded Phillips screwdriver and small hammer, the blocks were struck on the edge such that the accumulated static charge was violently discharged to ground. The tree-shaped discharge path through the plastic is evident in the first photo. The second edge-on photo shows the discharge exit point and that the “tree” is confined to the interior of the plastic block but is three-dimensional.

I “found” the block in my old roll-top desk and something caused me wonder what would be the consequence of placing the charged plastic block in deep space and mechanically vibrating it.

- Would the block produce radio waves?
    - Would a suitable antenna receive the waves?
    - If the receiving antenna were vibrated in same manner and synchronized to compensate for propagation delay, would reception cease?

Thanks for your replies.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2
    My take on this:

- Yes
    - Yes
    - No

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook