1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibrating Hydrogen Molecule

1. Oct 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When displaced from equilibrium by a small amount, the two hydrogen atoms in an H2molecule are acted on by a restoring force Fx=−k1x with k1 = 500N/m.

Calculate the oscillation frequency f of the H2 molecule. Use meff=m/2 as the "effective mass" of the system, where m is the mass of a hydrogen atom.
    Take the mass of a hydrogen atom as 1.008 u, where 1u=1.661×10−27kg. Express your answer in hertz.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]f=\frac{ 1 }{ 2 pi } sqrt{\frac{ k }{ m_{eff} }}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So plugging everything in I get [itex]f=\frac{ 1 }{ 2 pi } sqrt{\frac{ 2 times 500 }{ 1.661 times 10^{-27} }}[/itex] giving me a final answer of 1.22*10^15 Hz, but the answer is 1.23*10^14 Hz, I have no idea what I did wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your thinking is correct, your numerical result is wrong. The expression you give evaluates to 1.2e14 Hz.

4. Oct 15, 2014 #3
    Oh wow, that was dumb of me, I didn't put the brackets around 2 pi, so it put pi in the numerator for me ha.

Thank you so much for confirming :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted