1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibrating string

1. Mar 26, 2005 #1
    Dear friends,

I need some help with transversal waves, to be precise: the vibrating string. I’ve been given many mathematical representations of what can be a wave (e.g: 10(x^2-v^2*t^2)
    or this one, 5 Sinx cosv*t)

I have to argue which of them can be a solution of the vibrating string wave equation. And if it’s a solution I’ve been asked to write it in the D’Alembert form (that’s f(x-vt)+g(x+vt)).

Just tell me if what I think is correct: I insert the possible solution in the wave equation to see if both sides of the equation match (is that all or am I missing something?).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah,it needs to satisfy 1D d'Alembert's equation.

4. Mar 27, 2005 #3
    Thanks Daniel.

Now I have a more specific question on this vibrating string problem. Given u(x,t)=5Senx*Cos(vt), I've proved that it's a solution. However, while trying to write it in the D'Alembert form I get this: 5i cos(x+vt)cos(x-vt)

Does it make sense that it is imaginary? Aren't string waves supposed to be real. I don't know if I'm mixing up things.
  5. Mar 27, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It can't be complex (with a nonzero imaginary part,that is).U should use a trigonometric identity

[tex] \sin x\cos y\equiv \frac{1}{2}\left[\sin\left(x+y\right)+\sin\left(x-y\right)\right] [/tex]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?