Vibrating Strings: Determining Wave Speed From Eq of Best Fit

In summary, to find the wave speed using the given equation, you need to calculate the slope of the graph and replace it in the equation. Make sure to calculate the slope at multiple points to avoid errors.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

From the equation of best fit, determine the wave speed, v, for your string.

Homework Equations

f=(v/2L)n

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am supposed to find the speed of a wave using that graph and data. Do I just take the slope and replace the (f/n) in the equation? I feel like that is too simple.

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 10.53.45 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcin H said:
So I am supposed to find the speed of a wave using that graph and data. Do I just take the slope and replace the (f/n) in the equation? I feel like that is too simple.

your graph is perhaps straight line with y=0 at x=0 so write down the equation for the function- calculate slope at least 2-3 places to avoid error and see how you can get the answer -looks simple as it is a learning exercise.

1. What is the purpose of determining the wave speed from the equation of best fit for vibrating strings?

The purpose of determining the wave speed from the equation of best fit for vibrating strings is to accurately measure the speed at which the waves propagate through the string. This information can then be used to understand the behavior and properties of the string, as well as to make predictions about its behavior in different situations.

2. How is the equation of best fit for vibrating strings derived?

The equation of best fit for vibrating strings is derived using mathematical and physical principles, such as the wave equation and the properties of the string material. It is usually derived through a combination of experimental data and theoretical calculations.

3. What factors affect the wave speed of a vibrating string?

The wave speed of a vibrating string can be affected by several factors, such as the tension of the string, the density and material of the string, and the length and thickness of the string. Changes in any of these factors can alter the wave speed of the string.

4. How does the wave speed of a vibrating string relate to its frequency and wavelength?

The wave speed of a vibrating string is directly proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wave speed also increases, while as the wavelength increases, the wave speed decreases.

5. Can the equation of best fit for vibrating strings be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, the equation of best fit for vibrating strings can also be applied to other types of waves, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves. However, the specific parameters and variables used in the equation may differ depending on the type of wave being studied.