Vibration forcing function help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ANSYS and MATLAB for performing a fatigue and fracture analysis of a machine component. It is suggested that using MATLAB for pre-processing and post-processing may be easier, while ANSYS can be used for the actual analysis. It is recommended to consult experts in both programs to determine the best approach for the problem.
iamkratos
Hello PF users:

I am looking to perform a fatigue and fracture analysis of a machine component subjected to a 2D vibration forcing function. I was hoping that it could be done on ANSYS 12 because I have license to use it but looks like the pre-processing could get very complicated. (I have no idea how to get started) Is it simpler in matlab? Can the whole problem be defined and solved in MATLAB and the post processing be done in ANSYS?

I am a undergraduate senior mech engineering student venturing into new territory so I would really appreciate any inputs on this.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like both ANSYS and MATLAB could be used to solve the problem you are facing. However, it may be easier to use MATLAB to do the pre-processing and post-processing, while ANSYS can be used to solve the actual fatigue and fracture analysis. It all depends on how familiar you are with both programs and what features they offer in order to solve the problem. You may want to consult experts in both ANSYS and MATLAB software to get more detailed information on which one is best suited for your needs. Good luck!

What is a vibration forcing function?

A vibration forcing function is a mathematical representation of the external forces that act on a vibrating system. It is typically applied to the input side of a differential equation that describes the motion of the system.

How is a vibration forcing function calculated?

A vibration forcing function is calculated by analyzing the external forces that act on a vibrating system. These forces can include gravity, friction, and applied forces such as motors or springs. Once these forces are identified, they are combined using mathematical operations to create the vibration forcing function.

Why is a vibration forcing function important?

A vibration forcing function is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately model and predict the behavior of vibrating systems. By understanding the external forces acting on a system, the vibration forcing function helps determine the response of the system over time.

What are some examples of vibration forcing functions?

Some common examples of vibration forcing functions include sinusoidal functions, step functions, and impulse functions. These functions are often used to simulate different types of external forces, such as periodic or sudden impacts, on vibrating systems.

How can a vibration forcing function be modified?

A vibration forcing function can be modified by altering the parameters and variables in the equation. For example, changing the amplitude or frequency of a sinusoidal function will result in a different vibration forcing function. Additionally, different types of external forces can be added or removed to modify the overall function.