Calculating Vibration in Water Flowing Pipes for Noise Comparison

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of vibrations in a pipe with water flowing through it. It is mentioned that this is typically not an issue in practical scenarios, but can be induced by factors such as turbulence and vortex shedding. The original poster is interested in comparing the oscillation frequency of two pipes with different inner diameters to determine the amount of noise generated.
RagingSezz
Hi,

Does anyone know how to calculate the vibration in a pipe with water flowing through it? I have no idea where to start or what formula to use.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Water flowing through a pipe will not cause it to vibrate with any regular oscillation. Are you referring to a vibration caused by an external source?

Unless this is a homework problem I can't picture this being a big problem in reality.

However, if it is for research/homework than you'd have to determine the turbulence in the flow of the water. Which can depend on variables such as, speed of water, design of the pipe, etc. For instance, the smoother the pipe surface from inside on a micro-scale, the less turbulent the flow will be which will cause less vibration.

But as I said, in most practical scenarios, this is never an issue...

Are you referring to water hammer??

There can be induced vibrations due to vortex shedding, etc... from valving and pumps. Usually the big things I have dealt with are noise due to piping which is of course vibrations.

I think the OP needs to be more precise about what it is they are looking for.

There will be turbulent flow of water within the pipe. And I'm interested in the noise generated by the vibrations. To be specific I want to compare the oscillation frequency of two pipes with different inner diameters. So I don't need to find the actual amount of noise, but some way to compare the two pipes with regards to vibration or oscillation frequency.
Thanks for the input so far ^^

1. What is the cause of vibration in cylinder arrays?

The most common cause of vibration in cylinder arrays is the aerodynamic forces acting on the cylinders. These forces can be caused by fluid flow or wind, and can lead to vibration due to the unsteady pressure distribution around the cylinders.

2. How does the spacing between cylinders affect vibration in cylinder arrays?

The spacing between cylinders has a significant impact on the vibration behavior of cylinder arrays. When the spacing is small, the cylinders can interact with each other, resulting in higher vibration amplitudes. On the other hand, larger spacing can reduce the interaction and lead to lower vibration levels.

3. What are some methods for reducing vibration in cylinder arrays?

There are several methods for reducing vibration in cylinder arrays, including altering the spacing between cylinders, changing the cylinder diameter, or using damping materials on the cylinders. Additionally, altering the flow conditions or adding vortex generators can also help reduce vibration levels.

4. How does the Reynolds number affect vibration in cylinder arrays?

The Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless parameter that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces, has a significant impact on the vibration behavior of cylinder arrays. At low Reynolds numbers, the viscous forces dominate, leading to lower vibration levels. At higher Reynolds numbers, the inertial forces become more significant, resulting in higher vibration amplitudes.

5. What are the potential consequences of excessive vibration in cylinder arrays?

Excessive vibration in cylinder arrays can lead to structural damage, fatigue, and even failure of the cylinders. It can also cause undesirable noise and discomfort for nearby structures or occupants. Therefore, it is essential to carefully consider and mitigate vibration in cylinder arrays to ensure their safe and reliable operation.