1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibration Isolation Damping Coefficient

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to solve how to select a vibration isolator for a machine to be mounted on a vibrating surface. I know the disturbance frequency, 22.5Hz and the mass of the machine is 40kg. I have selected some commercially available rubber isolators and subsequently know their stiffness but nothing else. Is there a correlation between the stiffness, natural frequency etc. to the damping coefficient. It is a single degree of freedom system so I know that omega(n) =sqrt(k/m).

2. Relevant equations
    How do I determine the damping coefficient, C, if I want to determine the transmission of energy from one system to the other by as much as possible? Should the selected dashpots have a specified damping coefficient or can it be derived? Does the dampign factor depend on conditions and not a rating?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am led to believe that C^2- 4mk=0 where:
    C = damping co-eff
    m = mass of machine
    k = stiffness of spring from which I can get a value for C, but is that not in units (kg*N/m) not Ns/m?

And from there, if I get value for C, can I just assume Cc is the same even though I would have to select a dashpot with that subsequent damping coefficient? I am really struggling if anybody could help.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted