1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibration of a cantilever beam

1. Jun 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangular cantilever beam of length L and side lengths b with negligible mass is attached horizontally to a wall. A mass m is attached to the end of the beam where a motor is also located. The motor applies a force on the end of the beam described by the equation P*sin(w*t).

Derive an expression for the vertical vibration of the mass m, that is, find x(t) for a stable solution.

2. Relevant equations
    k = 3EI / L^3
    I = b^4/12

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm at a loss here. I am unaware of any equation that describes the damping in a cantilever beam. I want to set up the problem as

x'' + c/m x' + k/m x = Psin(wt)/m

which is how I usually solve these types of problems. But I'm at a loss when it comes to finding out how to express c. Furthermore, when it says to find a stable solution, is it hinting towards harmonic motion?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2017 #2
    Perhaps they mean that it is simple harmonic motion without damping?

4. Jun 5, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, it is forced, undamped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted