1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibration of a cantilevered beam with a Tip mass

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the next, correct direction for this problem.
    I understand how to determine the mode shapes and the natural frequencies of a cantilevered beam without a tip-mass, but adding the tip-mass baffles me a little bit.

The boundary conditions are as follows:
    Assume that the beam is clamped and rigid at the wall, therefore the deflection and the slope are zero at the wall.
    I also understand that the bending moment at the tip would be zero (this assumes that the tip mass can be modelled as a point-load with no dimensions).
    The shear force at the tip baffles me a little bit. But from what I can gather it should be the negative product mass of the tip mass and the acceleration of the beam at the tip.

So, I take the general equation for the motion of a continuous system such as this

y(x) = Asin(beta*x)+Bcos(beta*x)+Csinh(beta*x)+Dcosh(beta*x)

I integrate through three times giving -
    First Integration
    y'(x) = A*beta*cos(beta*x)- B*beta*sin(beta*x)+C*beta*cosh(beta*x)
    +D*beta*sinh(beta*x)

Second Integration
    y''(x) = -A*beta^2*sin(beta*x)- B*beta^2*cos(beta*x)+C*beta^2*sinh(beta*x)
    +D*beta^2*cosh(beta*x)

Third Integration
    y'''(x) = -A*beta^3*cos(beta*x)+ B*beta^3*sin(beta*x)+C*beta^3*cosh(beta*x)
    +D*beta^3*sinh(beta*x)

The first two boundary conditions at the wall give
    A+C = 0 & B+D = 0

The last two equations can be rearranged to:
    y''(x) = -A*beta^2(sin(beta*x)+sinh(beta*x)) - B*beta^2(cos(beta*x)+cosh(beta*x))

y'''(x) = -A*beta^3(cos(beta*x)+cosh(beta*x))+ B*beta^3(sin(beta*x)-sinh(beta*x))

The first boundary condition at the tip gives:

0= -A*beta^2(sin(beta*x)+sinh(beta*x)) - B*beta^2(cos(beta*x)+cosh(beta*x))

and the second boundary condition at the tip gives:

-mδ^2y/δt^2 = -A*beta^3(cos(beta*x)+cosh(beta*x))+ B*beta^3(sin(beta*x)-sinh(beta*x))

This is the part which confuses me slightly.

The equation for y(x,t) is given by:

y(x,t) = Y(x)*e^iwt

Does this mean, in order to determine δ^2y/δt^2, I should differential this twice with respect to t?
    This would yeild:

δ^2y/δt^2 = -w^2*Y(x)*e^iwt

Am I doing this correctly? If so, what would I do AFTER this point? If I recall correctly, the solution for an un-loaded cantilever allows you to eventually determine points at which cos(bL) and cosh(bL) cross, giving the natural frequencies. How would this proceed for a cantilever with a tip mass?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Seth.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted