Vibration of a diaphragm pump in a soldering hot air station

In summary, an engineer is seeking advice on how to reduce the noise of a hot air rework station that uses a diaphragm pump. The pump's vibration is caused by its two diaphragms being moved by a shaft connected to two AC coils. The engineer has tried various methods to dampen the vibration but has been unsuccessful. They are considering using springs, similar to those used in the automotive or computer industry, to secure the pump and reduce the noise. They are seeking validation on their idea and any advice or help on the matter.
heychris
All,

I am an engineer that occasionally needs to modify or rework circuit boards. I have a hot air rework station that uses a diaphragm pump to push air through a heating element. The result is air up to 550 degrees celcius. I can effectively rework most circuit boards. Unfortunately the pump is so load it makes the unit unusable. The air nozzle has a fairly short hose. The noise is generated by the vibration of the diaphragm air pump.

example of a similar hot air rework station:
http://www.kerrywong.com/2011/12/07/x-tronic-4040-hot-air-reworksoldering-station-ii/

The pump has two diaphragms that are moved by a shaft that is connected to both. The shaft is moved by two AC coils out of phase.

I have tried several methods of damping the vibration to reduce the noise without luck.

I'm thinking about securing some springs to case of the unit. I'd probably frame up the unit with additional bracing and secure the pump with the springs.

Since the pump is likely vibrating at 60Hz and generating high frequency vibration, I believe a smaller spring is the right choice.

Is there someone that can validate that?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd like to use something like what is used in the automotive industry (e.g. engine mounts) or something like the rubber dampers used in the computer industry.Thanks for any advice/help on this matter.Regards, John

1. What is a diaphragm pump in a soldering hot air station?

A diaphragm pump is a type of pump that uses a flexible membrane, or diaphragm, to move fluid through a system. In a soldering hot air station, it is used to circulate hot air for soldering purposes.

2. What causes vibration in a diaphragm pump in a soldering hot air station?

Vibration in a diaphragm pump can be caused by several factors such as unbalanced parts, worn out bearings, or air bubbles in the fluid. In a soldering hot air station, the vibration may also be caused by the movement of the diaphragm as it pumps air.

3. How can vibration in a diaphragm pump be reduced?

To reduce vibration in a diaphragm pump, it is important to regularly maintain and replace worn out parts. Additionally, ensuring that the pump is properly balanced and that there are no air bubbles in the fluid can also help reduce vibration. It may also be helpful to place the pump on a stable surface and use vibration-dampening materials.

4. Can excessive vibration damage a diaphragm pump in a soldering hot air station?

Yes, excessive vibration can cause damage to a diaphragm pump in a soldering hot air station. It can lead to premature wear and tear on the pump's components, resulting in reduced efficiency and potentially costly repairs.

5. How can I troubleshoot vibration issues in a diaphragm pump in a soldering hot air station?

If you are experiencing vibration issues with your diaphragm pump in a soldering hot air station, first check for any visible signs of damage or wear on the pump's components. If everything appears to be in good condition, try adjusting the balance of the pump or changing the location of the pump to a more stable surface. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to consult a professional for further troubleshooting and repairs.

Back