Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibration sensor

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    I am reading a vibration sensor manuvall that always written in units of "g". what is the meaning of that g. Can some explain me. The document is down here.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2
    Attached down here.

Attached Files:

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3

S_Happens

Gold Member

It's an accelerometer, not a DIRECT vibration sensor, so it's not outputting position or displacement but acceleration.

It's in terms of "g", meaning the standard acceleration of free fall (gravity) here on earth. Simply put it's displaying acceleration where 1 unit is equal to 9.80665 m/s*s.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  5. Sep 2, 2011 #4
    The sensor i have is a 100g unit and its sensitivity is 20mV per g. More,if i have a 2g unit which can give more higher output. These words are written to me by a sensor vendor. I don't understand these as well. I am new to these vibration sensor. can some explain me in simple way.

6. Sep 2, 2011 #5

S_Happens

Gold Member

That just tells you how many milli-Volts the accelerometer will output per g measured. The 20 mV/g sensitivity would be better for higher accelerations. If you only wanted to measure up to 20g rather than 100g, then you'd want more mV/g so that you would have better resolution (read the vibration more accurately).

There are many search options available, which bring up far better resources than I can provide by typing here.
    http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=accelerometer+sensitivity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook