1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibrational quantum number

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    I have measured some fluorescence emission from excited iodine and am now trying to do a Birge-Sponer extrapolation. I'm just wondering if the vibrational quantum number increases or decreases with increasing wavelength?

In my instructions there's a plot showing how it might look, the linear curve has a negative slope. If I use increasing quantum numbers with decreasing wavelength then I get a positive slope. The way I understand it is that as the iodine drops from the excited state to the ground state it emitts radiation, the photon energy is inversely proportional to the wavelength and quantum number increases with energy and therefor quantum number should decrease with increasing wavelength. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted