Max Dist Compressed: .99m - Find Out How With Vibrations & Waves

In summary, a 500-g block is released from rest and slides down a frictionless track, hitting and sticking to a light spring with a constant of 20 N/m at the bottom of the track. Using the formula mgh=1/2kx^2, the maximum distance the spring is compressed is found to be 0.99m. This calculation is related to the topic of vibration and waves.
physics_ash82
A 500-g block is released from rest and slides down a frictionless track that begins 2.00 m above the horizontal as shown in the figure. At the bottom of the track, where the surface is horizontal, the block strikes and sticks to a light spring with a constant of 20 N/m.find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

I think that I use the formula mgh=1/2kx^2 is this right?

so when i use this i get (.500)(9.8)(2)=.5(20)(x^2)

and solving for x i get .99m is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't get how this has to do with vibration and waves.

but yes, that seems correct

well that is what chapter it is in sry I didn't really know what to put in heading. Thanks though
ash

1. What is "Max Dist Compressed" in relation to vibrations and waves?

Max Dist Compressed refers to the maximum distance that a material can be compressed before it reaches its breaking point. This is relevant to vibrations and waves because these physical phenomena can cause compression and create stress on materials.

2. How is "Max Dist Compressed" measured?

Max Dist Compressed is typically measured in meters (m) or millimeters (mm), depending on the size of the material being compressed. It can be measured by using special instruments such as strain gauges or by conducting experiments to determine the point at which the material breaks.

3. What is the significance of .99m in "Max Dist Compressed: .99m"?

The .99m in "Max Dist Compressed: .99m" indicates that the maximum distance compressed is just shy of one meter. This is important in understanding the strength and durability of a material, as it tells us how much force it can withstand before breaking.

4. What role do vibrations and waves play in determining "Max Dist Compressed"?

Vibrations and waves can cause materials to compress and experience stress, which can lead to reaching the maximum distance compressed. By studying the behavior of materials under different types of vibrations and waves, scientists can better understand their properties and determine their maximum distance compressed.

5. How is "Max Dist Compressed" used in practical applications?

Understanding the maximum distance compressed can help engineers and designers in various industries, such as construction and manufacturing, to choose the appropriate materials for their projects. It also allows them to predict how much stress a material can withstand, helping to ensure safety and longevity of structures and products.