Guitar String Vibrations: Freq 437 Hz, Distance 235m

In summary: You're just using "time" for x/v, and "frequency" for f. In summary, the guitar string made 299.4 vibrations while the sound propagated 235 m in the air, with a frequency of 437 Hz. This can be calculated by first finding the time it takes sound to travel 235 meters, which is (235 m)/(343 m/s), and then using the frequency formula to get the number of vibrations. The equation used is # of vibrations = (x/v) * f, with x representing the distance traveled, v representing the speed of sound, and f representing the frequency.
petern

Homework Statement

A guitar string is set in vibrations at a frequency of 437 Hz. How many vibrations did the guitar's string make while the sound propagated 235 m in the air?

Homework Equations

V = wavelegth x freq.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that you do 437 Hz x 235 m = 102695 m/s. 102695 / 343 = 299.4 vibrations.

Can anyone explain how this works? I thought vibration was the frequency. I don't understand how the vibration represents how many times faster than the speed of sound it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
first you want to figure out how long it takes the sound to travel the 235 meters. if you know that, you can use the frequency to figure out how many times the string vibrates in that period.

The vibration is the frequency. What you did gave you the right answer, but it was done in the wrong order. Following what Jakell said, you would want to first find the time it takes sound to travel 235 meters, which is (235 m)/(343 m/s) [if you are using 343 m/s for speed of sound]. Then you would use the frequency. You end up with the same operations, hence the same answer.

How would I make a working equation for that? I currently have vibration = (x/v) x f. I used x = xo + vt but I don't know which eq. to use to add the f in.

Last edited:
What equation do you mean? You have one: # of vibrations = (x/v) * f

1. What is the significance of the frequency and distance in guitar string vibrations?

The frequency of a guitar string vibration refers to the number of cycles or back-and-forth movements it makes per second. The distance, also known as the wavelength, is the physical distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the vibration. Both the frequency and distance determine the pitch or note produced by a guitar string.

2. How does the frequency of a guitar string affect its sound?

The frequency of a guitar string directly affects the pitch or perceived note of the string. As the frequency increases, so does the pitch. Therefore, a higher frequency of 437 Hz would produce a higher pitched note compared to a lower frequency of, for example, 200 Hz.

3. How does the distance of a guitar string affect its sound?

The distance or wavelength of a guitar string also affects its sound. A shorter distance or wavelength produces a higher pitch, while a longer distance or wavelength produces a lower pitch. This is because a shorter distance means the string is vibrating more quickly, resulting in a higher frequency and pitch.

4. What factors can affect the frequency and distance of guitar string vibrations?

The frequency and distance of guitar string vibrations can be affected by various factors such as the tension and thickness of the string, the material it is made of, and the length of the string. These factors can all influence the speed and amplitude of the vibrations, ultimately affecting the frequency and distance.

5. How can understanding guitar string vibrations benefit a musician?

Understanding guitar string vibrations can benefit a musician by allowing them to accurately tune their instrument and play in tune with other musicians. It can also help them understand the relationship between frequency and pitch, allowing them to create different tones and melodies by manipulating the distance and tension of the strings. Additionally, understanding the physics behind guitar string vibrations can aid in the maintenance and care of the instrument.