1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibrations physics homework

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The disk, hvng a weight of 15kN, is pinned at it center O and supports the blck A that has a weight of 3 kN. If the belt which passes over the disk is not allowed to slip at its contacting surface, determine the natural period of vibration of the system.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Mo=Mo
    T=1/f
    Mo=I [tex]\alpha[/tex]
    I=(1/2)*M*r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    M=I [tex]\alpha[/tex]
    I=1/2*M*r2
    I=(1/2)*(15000/9.81)*(0.75)2
    I=430 kg*m2
    therefore Mo=430*[tex]\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Mo=Mo
    430[tex]\alpha[/tex]=(0.75)(K*x)-(0.75)*(3000)
    x=0.75sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])
    sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])=1 because [tex]\vartheta[/tex] is very small
    therefore [tex]\vartheta[/tex]=0.75

430[tex]\alpha[/tex]=(0.75)(80000)(0.75)[tex]\vartheta[/tex]-(0.75)*(3000)

At this point I'm not sure what to do. I have 2 terms in angular components and one in rectangular components. I'm not sure if I can just convert the moment provided by the weight into an angular compononent or if I need to somehow include its moment with the momnt provided by the spring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Re: Vibrations

Where did you get this?

I once made the same mistake on a major exam and it cost me dearly. The weight does not exert 0.75*3000 N because it's accelerating. Draw a free-body diagram on the weight to see what it exerts.

You don't need to assume that theta is very small; no approximations are required here. Even if you did, sin(theta) is equal to 0 when theta is small, not 1.

How did you get this? The only equation you need is this:

430[tex]\alpha[/tex]=(0.75)(K*x)-(0.75)*(3000)

when you correct the mistake, you'll see that it takes the form d^2x/dt^2 + m^2x=0. The period is just m. (Huge hint: x=r*theta).

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3

T=1/f
    period=1/frequence

Isn't the spring holding the system in equilibrium? We are just slightly disrupting the system to provide a small vibration so we can equate for the natural vibration arent we?

430[tex]\alpha[/tex]=(0.75)(80000*0.75*theta)-(0.75)*(3000)

That is the equation I used, I just plugged in the 80000 in for the value of k and 0.75*theta in for the value of x.

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I didn't understand the second sentence, but the system isn't in equilibrium because it's vibrating. It's always good to do things rigorously and only approximate if absolutely necessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook