Calculating Period and Distance of a Wave: Can You Spot Any Mistakes?

• Thread starter SwAnK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the period of vibration and total distance traveled by a floating object in a wave with a given velocity and amplitude. The individual used the universal wave formula to calculate the frequency and then found the period by taking its reciprocal. The total distance traveled was determined by multiplying the velocity by the time of 5 seconds. The concept of the period of vibration was clarified as being represented by T.
SwAnK
hey, i just need someone to see if i did this right, and if not to show me what i did wrong.

The question is:
a wave is traveling at 3m/s and has an amplitude of 2cm. If the distance between 2 consecutive toughs is 60cm, find the period of vibration and the total distance a little float would move as it bobs up and down as the wave passes by for 5 seconds.

What i did is using the universal wave formula I got
0.6f=3, so f is 5Hz. So then T would e the reciprocal which i got to be 0.2m/s. Then for distance would you not just multiply 5 by 3 to get the distamce traveled to get a total distance of 15m?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's T...?T should be the period and is [itex] 0.2 s [/itex]...

As for the second part,yes,it would be 15m.

Daniel.

yes, sorry i got that, so when it says peroid of vibration, it is just talking about T, the period?

alrite, kewl, thanks a lot dextercioby!

1. What are vibrations and waves?

Vibrations and waves are physical phenomena that involve the transfer of energy through a medium, such as air or water. Vibrations refer to the back and forth motion of an object, while waves refer to the propagation of that motion through the medium.

2. What causes vibrations and waves?

Vibrations and waves can be caused by a variety of factors, including mechanical forces, such as a vibrating object, or electromagnetic forces, such as light or sound waves. They can also be caused by natural occurrences, such as earthquakes or ocean currents.

3. How are vibrations and waves measured?

Vibrations and waves can be measured using different units, depending on the type of wave. For example, sound waves are measured in frequency (Hz), while electromagnetic waves are measured in wavelengths (m). Other measurements, such as amplitude and velocity, can also be used to describe vibrations and waves.

4. What are some real-world applications of vibrations and waves?

Vibrations and waves have numerous practical applications in our everyday lives. Some examples include using sound waves for communication (e.g. cell phones), using electromagnetic waves for technology (e.g. radio, TV), and using waves for medical imaging (e.g. ultrasound).

5. How do vibrations and waves interact with matter?

Vibrations and waves can interact with matter in various ways, depending on the type of wave. For example, sound waves can cause objects to vibrate, while light waves can be reflected, refracted, or absorbed by different materials. These interactions play a crucial role in how we perceive and understand the world around us.