Vice Presidential candidates

WarPhalange
You do know that Republicans make up about half of the Congress, right?

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Here's some more data for your sense of national mood

Democratic Congress approval ratings:
Approve: 18%
Disapprove: 73.5
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/congressional_job_approval-903.html
18% is the lowest ever recorded, matching the '92 check bouncing Congress
Some perspective on Congressional ratings: Congress Approval Ratings

The difference is that Republicans liked a Republican controlled Congress. Democrats and independents have quickly become disillusioned about the possibility of a Democratic controlled Congress doing any better. Now everyone hates Congress instead of just independents and Democrats. In fact, approval among Democrats is even lower than among Republicans and independents.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I personally thing approval ratings are mostly a bunch of hooey. Yes, Cheney probably has the lowest approval rating of any VP in the longest time, and he probably doesn't give a hoot. I almost admired him when he said "So what?". That's called having a spine. A terribly twisted one, but a strong one, nevertheless.

Congress' approval ratings were at historical highs (84% approve) just after 9/11 - for no real action that they can claim credit for. Oh wait, I forget: there was the landmark "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act" that made everyone feel just so awesomely protected!

Last edited:
WarPhalange
Cheney's a public servant. Saying "so what" to the public means he should get fired, not applauded.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Cheney's a public servant. Saying "so what" to the public means he should get fired, not applauded.
That's what elections are for. If you want all details of governance to be determined by opinion polls, then you don't really need an Executive branch.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Cheney is a self-servant, and I heard someone comment to the effect that congressional Democrats are invertebrates. Mind you, that's just a disparaging rumor.

turbo
Gold Member
Cheney is a self-servant, and I heard someone comment to the effect that congressional Democrats are invertebrates. Mind you, that's just a disparaging rumor.
Another reason why I don't have a party affiliation. The Democrats were handed a majority so that could roll back some of the crap that Bush/Cheney have been pulling, and they just sit on their hands. Gutless weasels! I take that back...weasels shouldn't be disparaged by comparing them to politicians - they are small, but they are brave and tenacious...we don't see either of those qualities much on the Hill these days.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
I almost admired him when he said "So what?". That's called having a spine. A terribly twisted one, but a strong one, nevertheless.
You would admire him for the brave way that he accepted responsibility for shooting Harry Whittington? Admittedly the man was a lawyer and all ... but still.

"Cheney told an investigator that he did not see his hunting partner while aiming for a bird."

Yes a man dressed in hunting orange does have a tendency to blend with the background. He has his finger on the trigger aiming down the barrel his eye didn't see what his buck shot soundly peppered?

As FoxNews reported "Accidents Happen".

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185238,00.html

So much for accountability.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I personally thing approval ratings are mostly a bunch of hooey. Yes, Cheney probably has the lowest approval rating of any VP in the longest time, and he probably doesn't give a hoot. I almost admired him when he said "So what?". That's called having a spine. A terribly twisted one, but a strong one, nevertheless.
There's nothing wrong with completely disagreeing with a person's politics while liking them as a person. I've always liked Cheney. That just makes the bizarre policies he's pursued since 9/11 even more disappointing.

I'd say the same about Huckabee. He was easily the candidate that I most wished had the same views as me.

That's why a person's political views are still more important when it comes to elections than their personal character.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There's nothing wrong with completely disagreeing with a person's politics while liking them as a person. I've always liked Cheney. That just makes the bizarre policies he's pursued since 9/11 even more disappointing.
We didn't think Dick would turn out this way
-Friends of Dick Cheney in Wyoming [according to the governer.]
From Meet the Press, two weeks ago.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think today's Rasmussen poll is a nail in Tim (mullet or not) Pawlenty's vice presidential coffin.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/minnesota/election_2008_minnesota_presidential_election [Broken]

The last 3 polls in MN have Obama with a 17 point lead (+/- 5 points).

Methinks McCain will have to abandon principles for politics and pick Romney. That could give him a much needed boost in MI, NV and CO (and maybe even in NH).

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Biden... or Bayh...?
The two senators widely believed to be at the top of Barack Obama's shortlist for VP have been given prime-time speaking slots at the Democratic convention Wednesday night — the very same night the vice presidential candidate is slated to speak.
New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, West Virginia Sen. Jay Rockefeller, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and Colorado Sen. Ken Salazar will also speak Wednesday evening, according to the convention committee.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's Biden ... isn't it? I hope it is.

I'm very happy with Biden - that's a guy who has a deep understanding of Foreign Policy, and is not afraid to speak up.

mheslep
Gold Member
It's Biden ... isn't it? I hope it is.

I'm very happy with Biden - that's a guy who has a deep understanding of Foreign Policy, and is not afraid to speak up.
2nd that. I don't agree w/ much of his domestic policy ideas but he has an intellectual conscience, a sense of humor, has respect for views not in agreement with his own, and is not afraid to admit he was wrong.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Today, a class at Widener University will have a substitute lecturer for a seminar on Constitutional Law...

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Well, not that Biden is the VP nominee, everyone is waiting for McCain to announce his nominee.

According to some, the choice of Biden puts pressure on McCain to choose someone who can stand up to Biden.

Biden is wrench in McCain's VP choice
http://news.yahoo.com/story//politico/20080827/pl_politico/12867_1 [Broken]

Romney, Pawlenty, Ridge and Lieberman have factors that would be problematic, e.g. Pawlenty lacks experience, and Ridge and Lieberman are perhaps too liberal for conservatives.

A friend indicated that perhaps Kay Bailey Hutchison would be the VP nominee. Now that would make for an interesting choice. She's conservative and she'd certainly appeal to some of those who voted for Clinton. But her indictment by a Texas grand jury in September 1993 for official misconduct and records tampering could be a disqualifier.

Well then there's Elizabeth Dole, or perhaps Nancy Kassebaum, Lisa Murkowski, Sue Collins, Olympia Snowe, and others.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Looks like it's going to be Pawlenty... I think.

turbo
Gold Member
Well then there's Elizabeth Dole, or perhaps Nancy Kassebaum, Lisa Murkowski, Sue Collins, Olympia Snowe, and others.
I would love to see Susan Collins selected - it would give Tom Allen a walk-in in November. Not so much Olympia Snowe - she does not suck up to Bush/Cheney quite as blatantly as Collins, and her seat is not in contention this year.