Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Vice Presidential Debate 2012

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Joe Biden v. Paul Ryan

When Biden gets near a live microphone, literally anything could happen (including overuse of the word "literally").

Ryan has his own problems, ranging from balancing his own conservative budget plans in Congress with Romney's suddenly shifting position on taxes to fudging his marathon times (less serious, but somewhat similar to Biden's plagiarism problem years ago).

None the less, both come across very well in public.

Who knows what will happen?

Better break out the warning signs!

signspotting-wheelchair-alligator.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Vice Presidential Debate

Lol!!! Biden's not a good debater.

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3

If you want to watch Ryan win a debate, here's a link.

Youtube

If you prefer to see Biden win, I can't help you, perhaps the scifi channel has a website.

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4

Evo

Well Romney appeared to throw Ryan a couple of curveballs, one with pretending "abortion is not on my agenda".

Then saying that his comments on the 47% were "completely wrong". Why, he *likes* those people, yes, he does. IMO. :tongue2:

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5

Just tuned in, Ryan speaking good and Bidden body language is not good.

7. Oct 11, 2012 #6

Evo

Biden is wiping the floor with Ryan. Biden has more facts, well accurate facts.

The woman in charge is doing well.

8. Oct 11, 2012 #7

Yes that's true Ryan seems BSing things out of thin air.

9. Oct 11, 2012 #8

Anyone feel "Talk about religion and abortion" was an improper question?

10. Oct 11, 2012 #9

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Biden is totally controlling this and Ryan is doing worse than Obama did in the first debate.
    Ryan's only hope is that Biden is coming across as rude, laughing over Ryan's answers, interrupting often and just plain talking over Ryan's answers. I don't think Biden's rudeness will matter at all.

Score one for Obama/Biden team. This performance just reinforces the point that Obama is in over his head.

Biden certainly isn't.

11. Oct 11, 2012 #10

Evo

Obama was advised to hold back. Biden was advised to go after Ryan. The Obama debate was just ill advised.

Overall, who would i want in office? Obama

When asked about how their faith would affect their political decisions

Ryan: "I don't see how a person can separate their personal faith from their political stands"

"assaulting the religious freedoms of americans by allowing choice"

Oh no!!!! We don't want Americans to have a choice!!!! Their choices must be dictated by the Christian Religion!!!

Biden: "I refuse to impose my personal beliefs on others, I do not believe that we have a right to tell others how they can decide for themselves"

12. Oct 11, 2012 #11

SixNein

Gold Member

Yes, I thought it was inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  13. Oct 11, 2012 #12

Evo

It's a major issue, about if religion should dictate everyone's life even if you do not believe in that religion. It was an extremely important question.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  14. Oct 11, 2012 #13

Evo

So Biden won.

15. Oct 11, 2012 #14

I think overall, Biden did exactly what he needed to do to comeback for what I think was a frankly awful debate from Obama last week.
    Ryan did fine, but I think he really was unable to respond when Biden put him in the spotlight, and I think that really hurt the Romney/Ryan campaign.
    As a democrat, I think this debate reclaimed all the territory lost last week and then some, but I'm not sure if that holds from an independent view.

Edit: I was 'praying' that as an answer to the question "how does religion effect your choices" Biden would say "It doesn't". I guess I don't get everything I want.

16. Oct 11, 2012 #15

Evo

I guess you missed his answer.

17. Oct 11, 2012 #16

You're right, but I was hoping for a more firm response. I of course agreed with what he said. As the analysis from Thirteen (my news station, I'm not sure if it's a national thing, but I think it is) said afterwards, the pause from Ryan on the abortion question killed him.

18. Oct 11, 2012 #17

SixNein

Gold Member

Yea, but I already new the answer to it. Either one would commit political suicide unless they said one thing or another.

I'm just waiting for someone to mention inequality in these debates, and it would also be nice for a little discussion about infrastructure.

19. Oct 11, 2012 #18

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ryan never said these statements. Your characterization of his actual answer is 180 degrees from what he actually answered.

and,

and,

20. Oct 11, 2012 #19

Evo

I was writing as he was speaking.

His actual quote, same as the meaning of what i posted
    Religious liberties does not mean imposing religious views and restrictions on those that do not believe in such a thing. What about the rights and freedoms of non christian Americans?

If a christian doesn't want an abortion, doesn't want to take birth control, no one is forcing them to, they have their rights fully intact, and no one is even suggesting to take those rights away. It is this group of religious people that want to take the right to choose away from everyone, and that is wrong, IMO.

We cannot allow our country to be taken over and controlled by religious extremists that would impose their personal beliefs on everyone and take the right to personal choice away.

21. Oct 11, 2012 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I saw an interesting, and completely expected and believable, statement by one of the talking heads on CNN after the debate was over. He said that in going over what seemed to be out on social media, what he found was that people from both camps were ecstatic that their guy had won so strongly and were in complete disbelief that anyone could think otherwise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook