How Can I Fix the Video Brightness Issue on My Computer?

In summary: Or you could try opening "Display" in control panel and look into the accessory programs in the ATI directory. One of those might be a menu system like I have.
RVBuckeye
Hello,

I was wondering if someone might be able to diagnose and help me correct a problem I have with viewing videos online. It really is, i think, when I try to play .avi files? For example, when somebody links to a video on google, when I play it, the images is waaay to dark for my screen. I've tried adjusting the brightness in my display settings, but that brightens everything but the video. I don't see where I can adjust it on the web page itself, unlike windows media player, where I have a separate control panel for brightness.

As far as what I'm working with here is windows XP. I have an ATI radeon 9200 video card. My monitor is from an old compaq Presario that I have kept using even though I'm on my third computer. Now I'm thinking it's my monitor, am I wrong?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The video drivers on my pc explicitly recognize the AVI window. They can brighten or darken that area of the screen. Kind of annoying because they don't always recognize when another window is on top.

Don't know if your display controler/drivers have this capability. But it's a thought.

NoTime said:
The video drivers on my pc explicitly recognize the AVI window. They can brighten or darken that area of the screen. Kind of annoying because they don't always recognize when another window is on top.

Don't know if your display controler/drivers have this capability. But it's a thought.
It sounds like a very good thought. Perhaps there is something I'm not doing right, but AFAIK, I've tried everything I know how to do. If it's not too much trouble, care to explain how you adjust yours and maybe I can duplicate?

OK, I know computers hands down. Just the other day I fixed a printer that wouldn't print. This monitor should be easy.

Turn up the voltage in your electricity until your monitor looks right.

Don't know about your ATI system, it may or may not have this feature.

Try opening "Display" in control panel
Or
Look into the accessory programs in the ATI directory.
One of those might be a menu system like I have.

DaveC426913 said:
OK, I know computers hands down. Just the other day I fixed a printer that wouldn't print. This monitor should be easy.

Turn up the voltage in your electricity until your monitor looks right.

Maybe I should just remove all the tubing I wrapped around my computer tower that I'm using to heat my basement.:biggrin: <you'll probably be the only one who gets that, Dave>:biggrin:

NoTime said:
Don't know about your ATI system, it may or may not have this feature.

Try opening "Display" in control panel
Or
Look into the accessory programs in the ATI directory.
One of those might be a menu system like I have.
I do have a menu system and that allows me to adjust the brightness. I tried it again this morning and it turns out I am able to adjust the brightness to where I can see the video, it's just that I'm turning it up to 100% brightness to see it. This, in turn, brightnes up everything, (windows, taskbars, etc.) Perhaps, I'm not explaining my expectation here well enough. Is there any way to adjust the video itself without adjusting the rest of the screen? The only way I know how to do it is my downloading it and playing it in Media player, which has a spereate brightness feature. That's just a pain in the rear and same with adjusting the brightness in the control panel every time.
So I guess, in summary, would a new monitor be the cure-all? Or is there a separate reason why videos on you-tube and google just play dark when the rest of the page displays perfectly fine?
Thanks again for your time, NoTime.

Look for a setting called "Video" or "Overlay".

There is a tab in my settings titled "overlay". Clicking on this tab gives me a message:
"The overlay controls are automatically activated during playback of any video file that supports overlay adjustments."
It won't currently allow for movement of the brightness slider here. (but there is one) I'll suppose that it's because I'm not viewing a video file. Let me try something. Thanks for the suggestion robphy.

Well that didn't work either. I tried both going to you-tube and viewing a video, then trying to access the overlay tab, and also playing an .avi file in quicktime that I have saved doing the same thing. Neither one of them allows me to adjust the brightness using the overlay feature. I get the same message when I click on that tab.
Probably have to buy the quicktime pro or something.
I appreciate all your suggestions. Thanks again.

If your overlay function is similar to mine

You have to click on the overlay icon, then place the cursor on one corner of the area you want overlay.
Click-hold draging the mouse to opposit corner of area.
On mine you see a rectangle expanding as you drag the mouse.

Once you do that then the overlay controls will work.

If you don't have an overlay icon then you need to install/activate this feature.

Edit: Mine seems to recognize 5 classes of application
Independent of having to set an overlay.
Thats a separate menu.
And each class has its own brightness settings.

Somewhat of a pain because it doesn't always recognize which app is on top and you get different brightness squares showing in the top app.

Last edited:

What causes a video to appear too bright or too dark?

The most common cause of video brightness problems is incorrect settings on the display device or video player. This can include the brightness, contrast, and gamma settings being too high or too low. The video itself may also have been recorded or encoded with incorrect brightness levels.

How can I fix a video that is too bright or too dark?

The first step in fixing a video brightness problem is to check the settings on the display device or video player. Adjusting the brightness, contrast, and gamma settings can often solve the problem. If the issue persists, the video file may need to be re-encoded with the correct brightness levels.

Why does a video appear fine on one device but not on another?

Different devices may have different default settings for video display, which can cause a video to appear too bright or too dark. This is especially common when viewing videos on different types of screens, such as a computer monitor versus a television. Adjusting the settings on the device can help to improve the video's appearance.

Can the lighting in a room affect the brightness of a video?

Yes, the lighting in a room can have a significant impact on the perceived brightness of a video. Bright lighting can cause a video to appear washed out, while dim lighting can make it appear too dark. Adjusting the lighting in the room can help to improve the overall viewing experience.

Are there any software solutions for fixing video brightness problems?

Yes, there are several software solutions available for fixing video brightness problems. These include video editing software, which allows for manual adjustment of brightness levels, as well as video player plugins or apps that can automatically adjust the brightness based on the video's content. However, it is always recommended to first check the settings on the display device or video player before resorting to software solutions.