Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Video game about electrostatics

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,

I am working on a video game which is based on electrostatics. You play a charged sphere and you can change its charge to interact with other charged objects, sticking to walls and ceilings and orbiting around other charges etc.

I am curious what you think of the concept, and which aspects of electrostatics / electromagnetism, or other branches of physics, you would like to see in it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2014 #2
    That looks very cool! What are you using the develop it? When is the demo out? :)

4. Sep 23, 2014 #3
    You should include dipoles! Rather than just have a point charge as your "character", you should add the ability to increase your dipole moment, or even higher order moments. Would be very interesting to watch a point-quadrupole interacting with stuff.

5. Sep 29, 2014 #4
    Guys, thanks for the replies!

Greg, I am using Unity 3D to develop it, but I'm not sure yet when I am comfortable (i.e. sufficiently bug-free) to put out a demo.

Dipole recommending dipoles. Haha, I liked it! Dipoles (or multipoles) are interesting and have crossed my mind but I have not yet found a good way to include them as gameplay elements. I am also thinking about giving the player (temporarily) a charge gradient, so that it when it is charged (by the player) it should experience both forces and torques and both be accelerated and aligned in a field. As soon as I'll figure out how to use that for puzzles I'd be happy to include something like that.

6. Sep 29, 2014 #5
    How about incorporating special relativity? Moving charge (density) producing electromagnetic field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook