Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Video lectures online

1. Jul 26, 2004 #1
    anybody know of a place where i can watch video lectures of math courses? anything above calculus will be of interest. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2004 #2
  4. Jul 26, 2004 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably included in pnaj's list as well, but:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/index.htm
    http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoLectures/index.htm

These are video lectures on Classical Mechanics and Electromagnetism. They'r really great, because the professor (Walter Lewin) does a great job with showing experiments in class. Very good lectures, but the level is not very deep.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-06Linear-AlgebraFall2002/VideoLectures/index.htm
    If you're having trouble with Linear Algebra this might be of help, but I wouldn`t watch it for fun (as with the two above), because the lectures are extremely slow-paced.

http://www.vega.org.uk/series/lectures/feynman/
    Feynman lecturing quantum electrodynamics for the layman. Very funny way of explaining with the arrows goin' round. But the quality is a bit bad.

Its more physics than math, but still fun anyhow...

5. Jul 26, 2004 #4
    Prof. Lewin's lectures are great!

I didn't study EM, so for me the 8.02 lectures are like gold dust!

And he explains and demonstrates things so well, I got a lot of 'physical' information out of 8.01 as well.

Paul :smile:

6. Jul 27, 2004 #5
    thanks. the physics lecture was really interesting. anymore of these like this?

7. Jul 27, 2004 #6

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I totally agree. I learned from the lectures on classical mechanics as well (or 8-0-1 as they call it?), because the book I had to use was so terribly bad and my teacher wasn't clear to me either.
    Funny thing is, the first time I saw one of his lectures I immediately noticed he had such terrible dutch accent (I`m dutch so I could tell) and later found out that he was indeed dutch.
    Too bad the lectures don't go that deep, I would love to see someone give me a clear and deep explanation of Langrangian and Hamiltionian mechanics, because no-one has been able to yet.

The in-class experiments are the best, we never had those in my lectures.

8. Jul 28, 2004 #7
    Hey Galileo,

It's funny ... at first, I thought he just had a very strong 'Brooklyn' accent, then I thought maybe German, but realised it couldn't be, otherwise he would pronounce his own name as 'Levin'.

So I guessed Dutch, but whatever, I really like his accent ... I now pronounce 'charge' and 'torque' just like him!

pnaj.

9. Aug 11, 2004 #8
    Additive lessons on Mechanics by Professor Lewin

Does anyone know where are located now the lessons on Newtonian Mechanics by Professor Lewin, they are different form those in OCW, they are additive, they were originally in the PiVOT web.

10. Aug 12, 2004 #9
    There are some great Quantum Mechanics lecture videos made available by the University of California San Diego at the following sites.
    Modern Physics
    Quantum Physics 1
    Quantum Physics 2
    Quantum Physics 3

Apart from the "Modern Physics" lectures, others are quicktime streams over rtsp which makes it impossible to download. Since they require high bandwidth for clear viewing, making it impossible for me to get some benefit from them. I really do need them desperately as I am preparing for a graduate level course in Particle Physics. I would be highly grateful if anyone with a broadband connection & little bit of time is willing to capture these videos & upload them for me. I'll provide all the technical details regarding the video caputer & internet space for the upload.

Regards,
    Farhan Feroz

11. Aug 26, 2004 #10
    thank you very much - the motion lectures are really good - for me (in high school)

12. Nov 4, 2004 #11
    Yeah - those web sites are almost useless ... I wonder if anyone would have any videos on quantum physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?