Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Video of a cloud phenom

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Caught this on Youtube. At first I thought it was a camera aberration, such as a drop of water on the lens. But the effect is independent of camera movement.

Anyone know what's going on here? Is this effect something between camera and cloud, or is it really something up at the cloud level? If so, what? The text has a hypothesis by a meteorologist.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/b...ng-video-of-a-bizarre-twisting-dancing-cloud/

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

that was plain weird

4. Nov 20, 2011 #3
    I thought this was good.

5. Nov 20, 2011 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah - there's also a link to supporting examples.

It does look like water on the lens or some transparent sheet between the camera and the cloud - but the meterologists' suggestion looks good from here.

6. Nov 20, 2011 #5
    light is moving not the cloud it is most likely a reflection of some thing from directly around the photographer. Maybe even a watch on their arm..The source of the light of course is not in the camera view it is off to the side were it partaly reflects off the lens.

One of the reason a good lens hood is used.

7. Nov 22, 2011 #6
    it appears the video is being taken through a peice of glass. the moving cloud is just an image behind the camera reflecting off the glass. if a cloud moved that erratically it would also cause movement in the clouds around it because of air flow.

8. Nov 22, 2011 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No. As I pointed out - and you would have seen if you'd watched the whole video - the phenomenon does not move with the movement of the shot. It stays in the same spot in the sky, regardless of how much the camera moves.

That categorically rules out any phenomenon related to the camera.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  9. Nov 22, 2011 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is the only non-genuine-phenomenon explanation I can think of. But it would require the assumption that this is a hoax.

There is no assumption that any cloud is moving.

What is moving is (ostensibly) just refracted light paths as ice crystals get reoriented.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook