How Does Nicotine Affect the Brain and Body?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Forestman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video Works
In summary, nicotine has been shown to have benefits for brain processing in Alzheimer's patients due to its ability to act on nicotinic receptors. However, the effects on Parkinson's patients, who have excess acetylcholine, are not as understood. While nicotine can be used as a medicinal treatment, inhaling smoke from cigarettes can have negative effects on the brain, such as reducing activity in the prefrontal cortex. It is important to note that inhaling smoke in any form is harmful to the body. While there is some debate on whether brief periods of hypoxia may have potential benefits, the overall consensus is that smoking is detrimental to brain health.
Forestman

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Plus, it's a dandy pesticide, and one receptor site for Organophosphates (common acetylcholinergic neurotoxins) that can kill ya!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7618531

Really... it's nasty stuff outside of its endogenous form.

At iPhone, so can't view now. Am currently trying to quit.

When I was younger, I boiled a can of chew, let the water steam out , squeezed the solids out, until it was a thick oily residue. Three drops will supposedly kill a grown man.

nicotine gives some benefits for brain.
smokers have lower risk for Alzheimers and Parkinson.

revnaknuma said:

Possibly becaue they die younger?

@Pythagorean: That sounds dangerous... nicotine really is quite poisonous in large doses, and has been used as a means of poisoning... quite a bad way to go I might add.

revnaknuma said:
Do you have a source for this information?

Gokul43201 said:
Do you have a source for this information?

I'd guess the known shortened life expectancy alone would be evidence enough... not the kind of evidence he probably WANTED mind you... :wink:

Niccotine does help brain processing in Alzheimers patients: (don't know if it's true for parkinsons)

Alzheimers suffer reduced acytocholine levels, acytocholine acts on niccotinic receptors, so it's no surprise that niccotine can "take the place" of acytocholine.

Parkinson's have excess acytocholine, so not sure how it works.

But these were both presented in my Abnormal Psychology textbook, with references (which I don't have in front of me right now). But if you're really intersted, just google scholar "nicotine alzheimers". There's all kinds of studies on it. It's pretty well known among clinical psychologists of cognitive disorders.

I sitll want to quit, even though Alzheimer's runs in my family (my grandfather who died from it smoked anyhow... didn't stop it, though never know how it helped him hold onto integrated cognition longer)

Furthermore, if you seek nicotine as a treatment, you don't need to smoke it. You can safely digest lower levels of nicotine.

Pythagorean said:
Niccotine does help brain processing in Alzheimers patients: (don't know if it's true for parkinsons)

Alzheimers suffer reduced acytocholine levels, acytocholine acts on niccotinic receptors, so it's no surprise that niccotine can "take the place" of acytocholine.

Parkinson's have excess acytocholine, so not sure how it works.

But these were both presented in my Abnormal Psychology textbook, with references (which I don't have in front of me right now). But if you're really intersted, just google scholar "nicotine alzheimers". There's all kinds of studies on it. It's pretty well known among clinical psychologists of cognitive disorders.

I sitll want to quit, even though Alzheimer's runs in my family (my grandfather who died from it smoked anyhow... didn't stop it, though never know how it helped him hold onto integrated cognition longer)

Furthermore, if you seek nicotine as a treatment, you don't need to smoke it. You can safely digest lower levels of nicotine.

How does the effect of nicotine compare to the risks of smoking that can have an adverse effect on the brain, such as cardio-pulonary issues, and stroke?

that's why I included the last line in my post, the issue of smoking is irrelevant to the issue of medicinal nicotine. Inhaling any smoke is bad for you.

Pythagorean said:
that's why I included the last line in my post, the issue of smoking is irrelevant to the issue of medicinal nicotine. Inhaling any smoke is bad for you.

Oh I know, but let's be honest, most people who get their nicotine smoke it. I'm wondering how it all stacks up, not in general, but specifically as both relate to the brain.

nismaratwork said:
Oh I know, but let's be honest, most people who get their nicotine smoke it. I'm wondering how it all stacks up, not in general, but specifically as both relate to the brain.

I'm sure depriving your body of oxygen 20 times in a row within 10 minutes has significant negative effects. Then add in the toxic milieu of particulates...

There was a test I recall where they tested inhibition responses of smokers (since there was less activity in PFC) but they were just as quick at the test as non-smokers. It was called the stop-signal test. However, since there's less activity in the PFC, it does raise a red fag of sorts (not that activity necessarily corresponds to intelligence; an epileptic seizure involves lots of activity)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110302152820.htm

Pythagorean said:
I'm sure depriving your body of oxygen 20 times in a row within 10 minutes has significant negative effects. Then add in the toxic milieu of particulates...

There was a test I recall where they tested inhibition responses of smokers (since there was less activity in PFC) but they were just as quick at the test as non-smokers. It was called the stop-signal test. However, since there's less activity in the PFC, it does raise a red fag of sorts (not that activity necessarily corresponds to intelligence; an epileptic seizure involves lots of activity)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110302152820.htm

Hmmmm... I would tend to agree with you, but for all we know a series of bried hypoxic episodes inhibits amyloid plague formation. I doubt it, but I had to ask, and now you've answered, "The snails on the thorn..."

Anyway, thanks for the links and info, if I find anything I'll post it here. As always Pythagorean, you're extremely informative.

1. How does nicotine affect the brain?

Nicotine is a stimulant that enters the body through smoking or other forms of tobacco use. It quickly travels to the brain, where it binds to receptors on nerve cells and triggers the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that is associated with pleasure and reward. This creates a temporary feeling of pleasure and relaxation, which can lead to addiction.

2. What are the long-term effects of nicotine on the body?

Long-term nicotine use has been linked to a variety of health problems, including increased risk of heart disease, stroke, and lung cancer. It can also cause damage to the respiratory and cardiovascular systems, as well as harm to the developing brains of adolescents and fetuses.

3. Is nicotine addictive?

Yes, nicotine is highly addictive. It activates the reward pathway in the brain, leading to cravings and withdrawal symptoms when use is stopped. This makes it difficult for individuals to quit using nicotine products, such as cigarettes and e-cigarettes.

4. Are there any health benefits of nicotine?

While nicotine itself is not considered a beneficial substance, some research has shown that it may have potential therapeutic effects for certain medical conditions, such as Parkinson's disease and ulcerative colitis. However, these potential benefits must be weighed against the numerous negative effects of nicotine on the body.

5. Can nicotine be used safely?

No, nicotine is a harmful and addictive substance that should not be used recreationally. Even in small doses, it can have negative effects on the body and can lead to addiction. The best way to avoid these risks is to not use nicotine products at all.