Videos about mathematics?

1. Hi all,
    I'd like to hear skilled mathematicians (physics otherwise) in some interesting (read: presenting potentially original point of views; but that's not necessary) videos.
    What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Char. Limit

Char. Limit 1,986
    Gold Member

Books.

4. That's not the kind of effort I was looking for. Thanks for the seconds you took to reply anyways.
    --

Yesterday I was watching a lecture by Robert May with some interesting points in quadratic equations, even though he was addressing the general public.

5. Char. Limit

Char. Limit 1,986
    Gold Member

Honestly I was hoping more interesting people would reply to this. My post was mainly a bump, with a possible alternate explanation of "books are usually better than videos". Come on people, John M isn't the only one interested here!

6. Google can't, unfortunately, give motivated or valuable answers to such a question. That's exactly why I'm here, humbly asking for recommendations. :)

7. This "might" be helpful: http://theeducationchannel.info/

not much stuff there, he's a maths and physics tutor in London, and this is one of his many websites.

8. Pythagorean

Pythagorean 4,596
    Gold Member

Lots of universities put open lectures online

9. I second books :biggrin:

Mathematics is a very broad subject, maybe you could tell us what you are particularly interested in or even what level of maths you currently know.

10. Pythagorean

Pythagorean 4,596
    Gold Member

I like chalkboard work. There's something about watching words get written that makes it stick better.

Also, books are linear. Lectures can be nonlinear.

11. Go ahead with some books titles then. If no videos, I'll welcome books.
    I can't pick up a single topic. I'd be interested in the links between them instead, ranging from number theory to analysis. What I'm looking for is some original (if possible) and deep links, but really, I love mathematics and can't just pick a single topic. :)

And if the lecturer keeps coherence that makes it even more pleasurable.

12. Char. Limit

Char. Limit 1,986
    Gold Member

I'm reading Riemann's Zeta Function by H.M. Edwards right now. It's a pretty interesting book, although it's quite deep. I can usually see where most of it's coming from now that I'm on the fourth reading though.

Warning: Without a good calculus knowledge, you will. Not. Get. It.

13. Give the Bourbaki books a go, they're pretty good (especially the first book on set theory).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?