1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viete relations

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the polynomials:

f(x) = x[itex]^{6}[/itex] + x[itex]^{3}[/itex] +1 and g(x) = x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + x + 1

Denote the roots of f(x) = 0 by x[itex]_{1}[/itex], ... , x[itex]_{6}[/itex].

Show that [itex]\sum[/itex]g(x[itex]_{k}[/itex]) = 6 , 1[itex]\leq[/itex]k[itex]\leq[/itex]6

2. Relevant equations

Vieta relations.

3. The attempt at a solution

Please correct any initial mistakes I may have made in this, new to Vieta.

[itex]\sum[/itex]x[itex]_{i}[/itex] = 0, 1[itex]\leq[/itex]i[itex]\leq[/itex]6

[itex]\sum[/itex]x[itex]_{i}[/itex]x[itex]_{j}[/itex]x[itex]_{k}[/itex] = -1, 1[itex]\leq[/itex]i,j,k[itex]\leq[/itex]6, i[itex]\neq[/itex]j[itex]\neq[/itex]k

and

[itex]\prod[/itex]x[itex]_{i}[/itex] = 1, 1[itex]\leq[/itex]i[itex]\leq[/itex]6.

Then we must show that

x[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex] + x[itex]_{1}[/itex] + 1 + x[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex] + x[itex]_{2}[/itex] + 1 + x[itex]^{2}_{3}[/itex] + x[itex]_{3}[/itex] + 1 + x[itex]^{2}_{4}[/itex] + x[itex]_{4}[/itex] + 1 + x[itex]^{2}_{5}[/itex] + x[itex]_{5}[/itex] + 1 + x[itex]^{2}_{6}[/itex] + x[itex]_{6}[/itex] + 1 = 6

or using the first vieta relation we must show that

x[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}_{3}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}_{4}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}_{5}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}_{6}[/itex] = 0

Then I'm stuck, if I did everything right so far.

Never mind, I think I might have gotten it, I could just multiply the first vieta relation by itself to get what I need, the x's square, which will include the second two vieta relations which'll add up to zero and all the other combinations of the x's will automatically be zero since we had no coefficients for some of the polynomial degrees, right?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, I think. You didn't really show the whole thing. But sure, if you square the first relation you'll get the sum of the squares plus something else, which you can also show to be zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook