Manage Threads/Posts More Efficiently: Suggestion

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, it would be better if the Forum or SubForum's new posts were only marked as read when the user actually reads them. There is no way to make it optional, and the information would need to be stored on the user's computer.
NeoDevin
I don't know how much resources this would take, so I'm not sure if it's feasible or not, but I think it would be better if instead of marking all posts read every time you visit, it only marks the one's you actually read. Sometimes I have a couple of minutes, so I come to see what has new posts, and there are more than I have time to read, but when I leave and come back, it's marked them all read on me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been suggested before and the answer has been it takes too much resources. :smile:

There's no way to make it optional, and store the information in the users computer?

NeoDevin said:
There's no way to make it optional, and store the information in the users computer?

Max cookie size is about 4kb

Using more than one cookie doesn't work?

I guess you guys probably already thought of this stuff, huh?

As one of the people who brought it up before, I can relate. My first request was to have the same lines of code that hilite threads as "unread" treat each thread seperately (obviously, I know very little about programming or what consumes bandwidth or hard-drive space). Then, I thought that perhaps the information could be sent as a cookie, and came against the same limitations just mentioned. So now I'm wondering if it could just treat each Forum or SubForum as though it were a separate site.

Then I thought that I could write a program that would take up space on my hard-drive, and not the server, but I'm totally lame and can't figure out how to do it. If such a program could be written, it could be offered as shareware somewhere in the Forums, and people who wanted to could download it. Hey Greg, the software that hilites the threads that have new posts every time I visit; did you write it, or was it part of a package you bought? If you bought it, is there any legal way to alter it?

1. How can I manage my threads and posts more efficiently?

There are several ways to manage your threads and posts more efficiently. One suggestion is to use a thread organization system, such as categorizing threads by topic or setting up a tagging system. Another suggestion is to regularly monitor and moderate your threads to keep them organized and on-topic. Additionally, you can set up notifications or alerts for new posts or replies to quickly stay updated on activity in your threads.

2. Is there a limit to the number of threads or posts I can have?

The limit for the number of threads or posts you can have will depend on the platform or forum you are using. Some platforms may have a maximum limit, while others may have unlimited storage. It is best to check with the platform's guidelines or support team for more information.

3. How can I encourage more engagement in my threads?

One way to encourage more engagement in your threads is to create interesting and relevant discussion topics. You can also actively participate in the discussions and respond to comments to keep the conversation going. Another suggestion is to promote your threads on social media or through email to reach a wider audience.

4. Can I delete or edit threads or posts?

The ability to delete or edit threads or posts will depend on the platform or forum you are using. Some platforms may allow you to delete or edit your own posts, while others may not have this feature. Additionally, some platforms may have moderation settings that allow moderators to delete or edit posts. It is important to review the platform's guidelines or contact support for more information on this feature.

5. What should I do if I encounter inappropriate or offensive posts in my threads?

If you encounter inappropriate or offensive posts in your threads, it is important to address them immediately. Depending on the platform, you may have the ability to delete the post or report it to a moderator. You can also reach out to the poster and ask them to edit or remove the post. It is important to have clear guidelines and consequences for inappropriate behavior in your threads to prevent future incidents.