View Word Docs Free on Windows XP - Microsoft Download

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a small free program that can view and print MS Word .docs in Windows (XP). The individual is aware of programs like Open Office but they are too big and have more features than necessary. They also mention that they can't find their Office CD. Later, another individual suggests looking into Abiword or Antiword which can also read and save to different formats.
mattmns
Is there a small free program that can view MS Word .docs in Windows (xp)? Preferably something small that just can view and print them. I know there is Open Office and others, but they are a big download and do more than I need. I can't find my office cd lol

Thanks.

edit... Nevermind, I found "http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...87-8732-48d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&DisplayLang=en" from MS, supposedly free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
mattmns said:
Is there a small free program that can view MS Word .docs in Windows (xp)? Preferably something small that just can view and print them. I know there is Open Office and others, but they are a big download and do more than I need. I can't find my office cd lol

Thanks.

edit... Nevermind, I found "http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...87-8732-48d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&DisplayLang=en" from MS, supposedly free.

other than that you can look for abiword which will read MS word, Word Perfect and many other formats as well as save to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks, I am checking that out right now :smile:

There's also "Antiword" http://www.winfield.demon.nl/
"Antiword converts the binary files from Word 2, 6, 7, 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 to plain text and to PostScript."

1. What is "View Word Docs Free on Windows XP - Microsoft Download"?

"View Word Docs Free on Windows XP - Microsoft Download" is a free software developed by Microsoft that allows users to view and open Word documents on computers running Windows XP. It is designed for users who do not have Microsoft Office or Word installed on their computers.

2. Can I edit Word documents using this software?

No, "View Word Docs Free on Windows XP - Microsoft Download" is only used for viewing and opening Word documents. If you want to edit Word documents, you will need to download and install Microsoft Office or Word on your computer.

3. Is this software compatible with all versions of Windows XP?

Yes, this software is compatible with all versions of Windows XP. However, it is not compatible with other operating systems such as Windows 7, 8, or 10.

4. Do I need an internet connection to use this software?

No, you do not need an internet connection to use "View Word Docs Free on Windows XP - Microsoft Download". Once the software is downloaded and installed on your computer, you can use it offline to view Word documents.

5. Is this software safe to download and use?

Yes, "View Word Docs Free on Windows XP - Microsoft Download" is developed and distributed by Microsoft, a trusted and reputable company. It is safe to download and use on your computer.