Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viewing the universe

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    Say i move far away from the whole universe (Finite universe-assumed) Is it possible for me to look into all timeline of universe? Where the time (4th dimension)will just be a spatial dimension? Help me with a finite universe idea ..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is no "outside of the universe" regardless of whether it is infinite or finite so your question has no answer.

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3
    The whole universe which we assume everything is must lie somewhere in a vast space.Where only nothingness remains which might not belong to our definition of universe. Why cant i just call it as an infinite space in which we (the universe) is finite?

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are mistaken. The universe is everything there is. Period.

6. Dec 16, 2014 #5
    I do get that.. Im not sure if im right but my assumption is ..whats if Big Bang just produced only finite matter and anti matter. So(covering the fact that matter and anti matter amount should balance) the Big Bang itself had to happen somewhere in emptiness..(That's the reason why we expect matter and anti matter to balance each other).. This region of "Space" not sure if u should say space.. But the medium must have a volume bigger than the volume of matter and anti matter combined ..(classically to hold them) ..Then the matter expands as an after effect of Big Bang ..so by expand we mean it should expand some where in this medium.. So again assuming finite matter in universe there gotta be a outside as well.. (Just a hypothesis) help me :)

7. Dec 16, 2014 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

@Vivek des, that is not how mainstream cosmology describes the universe. Since you're misusing the terms, we can explain to you what is meant by the Big Bang, the metric expansion of space, what assumptions are used and what are the theoretical foundations of the theory, but we can't discuss personal speculation. That's the forum rules, and they're enforced rather strictly.

8. Dec 16, 2014 #7
    Okay :) thanks for help

9. Dec 16, 2014 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are saying the same thing over again. It is still wrong, and as bandersnatch pointed out, such unsupportable personal speculation is against the forum rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook