Vinegar Concentration Calculation: % HC2H3O2 in a Diluted Solution

• Thread starter asadpasat
  • Start date
In summary, a student diluted a 20.00mL sample of vinegar to a 500.0 mL solution and then titrated a 20.00 mL aliquot against a 0.1120 M NaOH solution. The acetic acid in the vinegar required 27.98 mL of base. To find the % HC2H3O2 in vinegar, the student used the equation M1V1 = M2V2 and also needed to know the initial concentration and density of the vinegar solution.
asadpasat

Homework Statement

After diluting 20.00mL of vinegar sample to 500.0 mL in a volumetric flask, a student titrated a 20.00 mL aliquot of this diluted solution against a 0.1120 M NaOH solution. The acetic acid requires 27.98 mL of base. What is the % HC2H3O2 in vinegar?

Homework Equations

M1V1 = M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the concentration of vinegar when it is added to base. So M1(20.00mL) = (0.1120 M NaOH)(27.98 mL). But I have no idea how I am supposed to find the mass %. Do I have to apply the formula to get to the M before its dilution and then use the density of vinegar? (Even though the density is not mentioned in the problem?).
Thanks

Likes COWilliam
Physics news on Phys.org
asadpasat said:
M1V1 = M2V2

You do know where this equation comes from (and when it will fail)?

http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation

And yes, you should know the density of the initial solution. You may initially assume it is just that of a pure water (actually it is a bit higher, but not much).

1. What is the formula for calculating vinegar concentration?

The formula for calculating vinegar concentration is % HC2H3O2 = (Moles of HC2H3O2 / Volume of Solution) x 100.

2. How do you determine the moles of HC2H3O2 in a diluted solution?

To determine the moles of HC2H3O2 in a diluted solution, you need to know the molarity (M) of the solution and the volume (in liters). You can then use the formula: Moles = Molarity x Volume (in liters).

3. Can you calculate vinegar concentration using mass and volume measurements?

Yes, you can calculate vinegar concentration using mass and volume measurements. To do so, you will need to know the mass (in grams) of acetic acid (HC2H3O2) and the volume (in milliliters) of the solution. You can then use the formula: % HC2H3O2 = (Mass of HC2H3O2 / Volume of Solution) x 100.

4. What is the difference between concentrated and diluted vinegar solutions?

Concentrated vinegar solutions have a higher percentage of acetic acid (HC2H3O2) compared to diluted solutions. This means that concentrated solutions have a lower water content and are more acidic. Diluted solutions, on the other hand, have a lower percentage of acetic acid and are less acidic.

5. How can I check the accuracy of my vinegar concentration calculation?

You can check the accuracy of your vinegar concentration calculation by comparing your result to the expected or known concentration. This can be done by using a titration method with a known concentration of a strong base, such as sodium hydroxide (NaOH), to neutralize the acetic acid in the vinegar solution. The volume of base used can then be used to calculate the concentration of acetic acid in the solution.