Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Violation of octet rule

1. May 10, 2006 #1
    Is there any violation of the octet rule in the second period elements?
    -scott

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2006 #2
    Yes, beryllium typically bonds with 4 electrons (ie BeF2) and boron with 6 (BF3). Flourine is often involved in bonds that have more than 8 electrons (XeF4).

4. May 10, 2006 #3

movies

Science Advisor

Also the superoxide radical, O2 with an extra electron. It's found in biological systems.

5. May 10, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to add, this is a biradical, with an unpaired electron on each oxygen atom.

~H

6. May 19, 2006 #5

movies

Science Advisor

You mean singlet oxygen? That's different. In that case you haven't added an electron, in superoxide you have one more electron than you do in the regular oxygen molecule.

Anyway, I think that I was wrong. You can draw a Lewis structure for superoxide radical where you have 3 lone pairs on one O and two lone pairs plus one electron on the other, with a bond between the two. In that resonance structure it's not an octet rule violation. My mistake.

7. May 19, 2006 #6
    What about S8?
    -scott

8. May 19, 2006 #7

movies

Science Advisor

S is in the 3rd period....

Also, S8 is a ring of sulfur atoms, so there is no violation.

9. May 30, 2006 #8
    Why is octet configuration stable?

10. May 30, 2006 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It just is.

Careful quantum calculations show that there is a deep local minimum of the potential energy for filled ns and np subshells. There are also shallow local minima at half-filled subshells. These are just the results of very complex calculations and it's hard to simplify things - in my opinion - to any considerable extent without being "a little" dishonest.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  11. May 30, 2006 #10

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nitrogen does interesting stuff as well - like in hydrazine

12. May 30, 2006 #11
    thanks Gokul
    I would request you to explain the difference between a wave and a particle? How would you describe the behaviour of an electron as a wave(qualitatively)?

13. May 30, 2006 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Malay, this question is fairly unrelated to the rest of this thread.

I have a couple of suggestions for you.

1. Read post #3 in the Physics FAQ thread : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104715
    It does not directly answer your question, but addresses some part of it.

2. If you still have something you want to ask, start a new thread in the appropriate Physics subforum - General Physics will work - and ask your question there.

14. May 31, 2006 #13
    Thanks for your help

15. May 31, 2006 #14
    Why does oxygen not form o8, since it is in the same family as sulfur?Also what about the Boranes?

16. May 31, 2006 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One reason is the steric strain. Larger atoms like S, Se, Te can more easily accomodate non-ideal bond angles that are necessary to make the ring structures.

What about the boranes? Yes, they do not satisfy octets in general (see post#2, by cesium). Also look into Wade's rules for constructing boranes with n electron pairs.

17. Mar 2, 2007 #16
    Does that mean that XeF4 follows the octet rule?

18. Mar 5, 2007 #17
    try and draw out the structure of XeF4 and count the electrons. If you draw the correct structure your question should be answered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?