1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Violation of Special Relativity

1. Dec 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a searchlight on the ground that casts a spot on a cloud 1500 m overhead. If the searchlight is rotated rapidly−say, 40 ∘ in 1 μs−—how fast does the spot move in the Earth reference frame when the searchlight is directed vertically upward?

I have solved this part and found the velocity to by 3.5c.

Is this a violation of special relativity?
    1. No, this is not a violation of the special relativity, light spot is not a physical object and can move with any speed.
    2. Yes, this is a violation of the special relativity, the searchlight cannot really rotate this fast, data given in the problem statement is incorrect.
    3. Yes, this is a violation of the special relativity, this situation should be studied using general relativity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it is a violation, but i'm not sure exactly the reasoning behind it. My educated guess would be number 2 is the correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, there isn't anything that is actually moving except the rotating search light. This canard is regularly debunked here on PF. No 1 is correct.

4. Dec 8, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose you replaced the searchlight by a laser and the distance 1500m by the distance to the moon. You could rotate a real laser at a not-excessively fast rate entirely within practical bounds, and make the light-spot on the moon's surface move much faster than c. So, (2) is not really relevant, although it might be for a big, heavy searchlight---that's why I suggested a laser. That is, moving an actual searchlight through 40° in 1 μsec might be impractical, but you can easily wave a laser by hand with no trouble.

That leaves (1) or (3).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  5. Dec 8, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

[post deleted]

EDIT: OOPS. I thought I was responding to the OP. Sorry Ray.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted