1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Violations of CPT symmetry?

1. Jul 8, 2016 #1
    Consider a photon undergoing pair production and turn into a particle-antiparticle pair.

Now play this in reverse, you got a particle and an antiparticle colliding to create a single photon. But in annihilation, the result is two or more photons. Violation of T symmetry?

There also seems to be evidence of CP symmetry violation: '[There have been] 32 sightings of muon neutrinos morphing into the electron flavour, compared with just 4 muon antineutrinos becoming the anti-electron variety.'

Source: (https://www.newscientist.com/articl...at-why-antimatter-didnt-blow-up-the-universe/)

Although the above observations have only reached 2 sigma, many believe that this could be the reason why there is more matter than antimatter in the universe. In order for there to be more matter than antimatter in the universe, there has to be a process that violates CP symmetry, so why is this surprising?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No. Why do you think it is? In particular, why do you think pair production in the presence of material is the time-reversed process of annihilation in the vacuum?

4. Jul 8, 2016 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

This never happens due to conservation of momentum. There is always either another photon or a massive particle involved.

5. Jul 8, 2016 #4
    Because they are the opposite process to each other. Like integration and differentiation. If I was to integrate 'backwards' it would be differentiation. :smile:
    I see. :smile:

6. Jul 8, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why do you think they are? Let me repeat, with emphasis:

"why do you think pair production in the presence of material is the time-reversed process of annihilation in the vacuum?"

7. Jul 8, 2016 #6
    I see they are not... ?:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted