Violence In The USA: What Level of Acceptance?

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
In summary, the conversation centers around the level of violence that is acceptable in society and how we have become desensitized to it. The conversation also touches on a disturbing event where a woman, who recently moved to the U.S. from England, was pulled over by a police officer and had a gun pointed at her head despite being dressed in business attire and emerging from a new car with dealer plates. The conversation also mentions the incident of third graders plotting to harm their teacher and the use of excessive force by police officers. The conversation ends with questions about when this increase in violence and use of force became the norm and what the future holds.
edward
What level of violence is acceptable in our society. It appears that we indeed have become desensitized to rising levels of violence and aggressive behavior.

I posted earlier this week about the group of third graders who were plotting to kill their teacher. There were no replies.

Today I learned of another event that I found to be disturbing.

My son's fiance. Nicola, moved here a six months ago from Northern England. She is a U.S. citizen as her father was career American Air Force. Due to his failing health she came here primarily to help her father.

She soon found that finding a job was a necessary. She went to work at a new car dealership. I teased her a bit about selling Volkswagens with her almost Scottish accent.

During her first week on the job she was out on a test drive with a customer. The potential buyer quite apparently violated the speed limit and was pulled over by a Tucson Police Department officer.

Nicola got out of the passenger side of the car and started walking towards the officer. She had gotten out the words: "I am so sorry to have troubled you" just before the policeman pulled his Glock 9mm and pointed it directly at her head and started screaming: "Get Back in the car, Get back in the car."

She was terrified, she had never even seen a hand gun before. Police in many areas of England apparently still do not carry weapons. She had to miss several days of work after this event. It was only recently that she finally talked about the incident.

We have gotten to the point where a young woman dressed in business attire and emerging from a new vehicle with a dealer plate on it is seen as an immediate threat.

This has come upon us very gradually. I hate to see this type of reaction by police, yet they say it is forced on them by the criminal element. Last year an officer shot an innocent passenger in a car because the man flipped open his cell phone to make a call.

Nicola can see no rational reason for this type of behavior.

Just at what point did we totally lose it? What does the future hold in store for us?

Just venting, edward

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The third graders plotting a murder was an exaggeration blown out of proportion. Several (at least one that I read) psychologists said there's no way they would have gone through with it.

2) She came to this country without knowing how to follow the law and procedures properly. That's okay, it happens. Nobody studies from a handbook before they go some place. But from the cop's point of view it was just as surprising to have someone come out of the car during a regular traffic violation. Usually people stay put. Only people who want trouble get out of the car. Moreover, a business suit was supposed to mean she was harmless? Ever hear of the mafia?

3) You are completely ignorant of history if you think we are getting more violent.

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
We have gotten to the point where a young woman dressed in business attire and emerging from a new vehicle with a dealer plate on it is seen as an immediate threat.
[/SIZE]

I'm sorry that happened to her. It must have been quite traumatic. Unfortunately the circumstance dictated a more than casual response.

The car was new

It had dealer plates

The driver was speeding

There was more than one person in the car

From what I've read it fits the criteria of a car jacking or vehicle theft. If he didn't, he should have explained to her why he acted in such a manner after the fact. It probably wouldn't have made the experience any less stressful, though.

Not to stray too far of the subject... from what little I know of such things, if the officer was alone in his vehicle he should have called for backup before attempting the stop. That alone makes me think he either lacked good judgment or training if the circumstance is as you've relayed it.

Far Star

Last edited:
I'm very sorry she had to experience that. Her actions must of alarmed the police, for them to have pulled a gun. Our police force faces crazy men and woman everyday, and I completely understand the "Stay in the car and keep your hands visible" unwritten rules.
Yes the USA is not North England, someone really should of told her what to do when your pulled over, long befor it happened.

I've never heard of anyone being able to get out of a car and walk toward the police when being pulled over. I'd be afraid of getting one of those big flashlights smashed across the back of my head.

I'm sorry about your son's fiance's misfortune, Edward.

Poop-Loops said:
1) The third graders plotting a murder was an exaggeration blown out of proportion. Several (at least one that I read) psychologists said there's no way they would have gone through with it.
While the 'murder' motive is an exaggeration, the plot was not. The plot was to assault the teacher, even stab her, in retaliation for disciplining one of the students. According to accounts, the student planned to bludgeon the teacher, rendering her unconcious, then tie her up and stab her. She very well could have been killed!

2) She came to this country without knowing how to follow the law and procedures properly. That's okay, it happens. Nobody studies from a handbook before they go some place. But from the cop's point of view it was just as surprising to have someone come out of the car during a regular traffic violation. Usually people stay put. Only people who want trouble get out of the car. Moreover, a business suit was supposed to mean she was harmless? Ever hear of the mafia?
Umm, how many people here know what to do when pulled over by a police officer? It used to be that they would ask the driver to get out, but now apparently the procedure is to have the driver (and passengers) to remain in the car. And don't make sudden movements. Police officers are under a lot of stress, since they people (members of the public) they encounter are strangers, and once in a while someone will assault an officer.

3) You are completely ignorant of history if you think we are getting more violent.
Violence and crime fluctuates, and there seems to be a steady or persistent level.

Last edited:
edward said:
What level of violence is acceptable in our society. It appears that we indeed have become desensitized to rising levels of violence and aggressive behavior.
Do you have evidence of these "rising levels of violence"? AFAIK, violent crime rates are far lower today than 10 or 20 years ago.
She needs to learn, then. She needs to follow directions. There is no mystery here.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
While the 'murder' motive is an exaggeration, the plot was not. The plot was to assault the teacher, even stab her, in retaliation for disciplining one of the students. According to accounts, the student planned to bludgeon the teacher, rendering her unconcious, then tie her up and stab her. She very well could have been killed!
Read some of the more recent articles on it, you've missed Poop-Loop's point: experts are saying the plot just plain wasn't real.

Comcast seems to be experiencing some sort of outage right now, or I'd give you a link - PF is the only one of my regular websites I can access!

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Do you have evidence of these "rising levels of violence"? AFAIK, violent crime rates are far lower today than 10 or 20 years ago.

She needs to learn, then. She needs to follow directions. There is no mystery here.

If violent crimes are so much lower, why have police changed the tactics they use during a normal traffic stops?:rolleyes: Off hand my evidence is 67 years worth of observation. The officer's actions would have been unthinkable 20 years ago.

I would say she learned the hard way. She had only recently arrived here from England. Follow what directions? The officer was just getting out of his car. She did what was perfectly normal from her background and viewpoint.

Police in the area where she had previously lived only carried night sticks.

Last edited:
Far Star said:
I'm sorry that happened to her. It must have been quite traumatic. Unfortunately the circumstance dictated a more than casual response.

The car was new

It had dealer plates

The driver was speeding

There was more than one person in the car

Far Star

The new car had a magnetic dealer plate on the trunk. There was no plate in the normal liscense plate attachment point. New cars taken for a test drive typically have a magnetic plate and two people in the car. The only issue here was speeding.

Last edited:
Earlier I stated that it appears that over time people have become desensitized to violence. Some of the replies here seem to prove my point.

edward said:

I posted earlier this week about the group of third graders who were plotting to kill their teacher. There were no replies.

Today I learned of another event that I found to be disturbing.

My son's fiance. Nicola, moved here a six months ago from Northern England. She is a U.S. citizen as her father was career American Air Force. Due to his failing health she came here primarily to help her father.

She soon found that finding a job was a necessary. She went to work at a new car dealership. I teased her a bit about selling Volkswagens with her almost Scottish accent.

During her first week on the job she was out on a test drive with a customer. The potential buyer quite apparently violated the speed limit and was pulled over by a Tucson Police Department officer.

Nicola got out of the passenger side of the car and started walking towards the officer. She had gotten out the words: "I am so sorry to have troubled you" just before the policeman pulled his Glock 9mm and pointed it directly at her head and started screaming: "Get Back in the car, Get back in the car."

She was terrified, she had never even seen a hand gun before. Police in many areas of England apparently still do not carry weapons. She had to miss several days of work after this event. It was only recently that she finally talked about the incident.

This has come upon us very gradually. I hate to see this type of reaction by police, yet they say it is forced on them by the criminal element. Last year an officer shot an innocent passenger in a car because the man flipped open his cell phone to make a call.

Just at what point did we totally lose it? What does the future hold in store for us?
Just venting, edward

Heck i am glad i do not live there, i would be shot to death in no time, our cops are just fine collectors and pansies.

Last edited:
Last year, a state trooper was killed here in that kind of stop. The passenger came out and shot him. So, not long ago in another stop, I heard a police officer explain pulling his weapon by saying, "I didn't know what he was planning on doing, but I was planning on going home after my shift." You need to know to stay in the car and place your hands in clear sight when stopped.

Experts dubious of Ga. 3rd-grader plot
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080402/ap_on_re_us/children_s_plot
WAYCROSS, Ga. - Allegations that third-graders hatched an elaborate plot to knock out, handcuff and stab their teacher were met with shock by neighbors and with doubt by psychiatry experts who said it is unlikely that children that young seriously intended to hurt anyone.

Police say the plot at Center Elementary School began because the children, ages 8 to 10, were apparently angry after the teacher disciplined one of the students for standing on a chair.

Students brought a crystal paperweight, a steak knife with a broken handle, steel handcuffs and other items as part of last week's plot, police said Tuesday. They said nine students were involved, but prosecutors are seeking juvenile charges against only three of them.

Experts said children that age are certainly imaginative and capable of creating elaborate games. But Dr. Louis Kraus, a child psychiatry expert at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, said he doubts they would have actually attacked.

"The reality is it is highly unlikely they would have been successful at this," Kraus said. "Even if it had begun, it's unclear whether they actually would have followed through with it."

Most premeditated acts of student violence in schools usually don't occur until high school, Kraus said. Younger children have been known to bring knives or other weapons to school, experts said, but often it's more a matter of showing off or acting tough than part of a deliberate assault attempt.

Certainly some experts doubt the plot, while officials involved are concerned based on evidence. Like the plot would have failed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it would not have been attempted.

Based on personal experience, it is possible that the kids might have attempted it. If one looks at child-upon-child violence, then it's conceivable. On the other hand, the anger might have subsided, and anyway, children are usually too concerned about punishment to attempt an assault on an adult - but it does happen.

We had some situations locally, but the events are kept out of the public eye and media, and are handled within the school itself or possibly within the school district administration depending on severity. Elementary school kids, especially those from troubled families, can and do act out violently.

edward said:
I didn't see your post about it here, but probably wouldn't have bothered discussing it much anyway...I've just already heard too much about it to want to talk about it more. Most of the follow-up stories I read on it sounded like only one or two of the older kids in the group (by their ages, they should have been fifth graders already) were plotting anything, and the rest of the kids thought they were playing a pretend game (for example, one kid in the group was described by police as commenting that he was supposed to bring in a toy gun, but didn't because he thought he'd get in trouble if he did...does that sound like a criminal to you? It sounds like a kid with a proper sense of right and wrong who when put under peer pressure to bring in a toy gun chose not to do so.)

Why did she get out of the car in the first place? Someone needs to explain to her the procedure for traffic stops in the US...she better get the driving manual from the DMV and actually study it (what other laws of the road are different in the US than UK that she's neglecting to follow?) You NEVER get out of the car unless instructed to do so. Didn't she notice that the driver was staying put? Police have a dangerous enough job during traffic stops without having the added worry of a passenger getting out and coming toward them when they don't know why.

Moonbear said:
Why did she get out of the car in the first place? Someone needs to explain to her the procedure for traffic stops in the US...she better get the driving manual from the DMV and actually study it (what other laws of the road are different in the US than UK that she's neglecting to follow?) You NEVER get out of the car unless instructed to do so. Didn't she notice that the driver was staying put? Police have a dangerous enough job during traffic stops without having the added worry of a passenger getting out and coming toward them when they don't know why.

She got out of the car because it was not an unusual thing to do as per her experience in England. She also felt a responsibility to act in a manner that had been instilled by her employer. She had been instructed to be courteous and helpful in any traffic matter.

The Arizona DMV manual printed in both Spanish and English does not contain any information regarding proper protocol during traffic stops. There is no law of the road regarding this matter.

The section in bold in your quote is just plain mean spirited and unnecessary. You are making an inference relative to a matter you know nothing about.

Perhaps the DMV should print a welcome to America version. The dam illegals usually get out and run like hell because that is what they do in Mexico.

My point in the OP was that this type of police action during routine traffic stops has not always been the norm and that we have gradually accepted it to be normal in a supposedly advanced society.

Some how this has gone off on a blame placing tangent.

I don't see violence here, I merely see preparation to use violence. There's nothing wrong with that.

When a police officer pulls you over, you are under suspicion of something. When you get out the car and start running towards him and yelling, no matter how you look, that makes the officer feel like he may be in danger. There is no legally defined way to proceed with yourself if you get pulled over, but sensibly I still believe that sitting in the car and being calm is a good way.

Last edited:
I'd rather live in the US than Haiti. Mind you I'd rather live in France than DC as well. :smile: Americans don't have more violent crime than the UK, what they do have is more violent crime that is likely to leave you dead. In Hampshire last year 5 people were murdered, population about 10 million. In Washington DC 500 people were murdered. And let's bear in mind the majority of Hampshire's population is concentrated in large cities such as Portsmouth, Southampton, Winchester and Chichester. Americas level of gun crime is actually quite scary I think. Well at least to someone who's never seen a gun let alone heard a gun shot, or seen a GSW.

edward said:
My point in the OP was that this type of police action during routine traffic stops has not always been the norm and that we have gradually accepted it to be normal in a supposedly advanced society.

I took driver's ed in the US almost 30 years ago. Back then we were told to stay in the car and to do otherwise would probably be interpreted as threatening by the officer who pulled you over. So while it may not have always been the norm, it has for maybe 1/3 of the time we have had cars.

Mk said:
I don't see violence here, I merely see preparation to use violence. There's nothing wrong with that.

When a police officer pulls you over, you are under suspicion of something. When you get out the car and start running towards him and yelling, no matter how you look, that makes the officer feel like he may be in danger. There is no legally defined way to proceed with yourself if you get pulled over, but sensibly I still believe that sitting in the car and being calm is a good way.

Oh for gods sake this is getting to be ridiculous. Nicola did not run at the officer she walked empty handed. She did not scream at him, he screamed at her. He drew his Glock and pointed it at her head.

Last edited:
edward said:
She got out of the car because it was not an unusual thing to do as per her experience in England.
And that is my point. She's living in the US now, not England, and needs to familiarize herself with the differences in the rules, just as it would behoove someone who moved from the US to the UK to know what is different there...if the custom in the UK is to get out of the car during a traffic stop to ensure the officer you have no intention of driving off as he approaches, then they would only have themselves to blame for not learning this before getting behind the wheel if they found themselves getting into more trouble for appearing defiant in staying in the vehicle rather than getting out.

The section in bold in your quote is just plain mean spirited and unnecessary. You are making an inference relative to a matter you know nothing about.
It was not. If she is unaware of one set of conduct, it's a good chance she's unaware of others. She needs to educate herself on what is expected in the place she's living so she doesn't wind up in more trouble. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break it.

Perhaps the DMV should print a welcome to America version. The dam illegals usually get out and run like hell because that is what they do in Mexico.
And you're accusing me of mean-spirited comments?

No, it has been the norm for at least the 20 years I've been driving. When pulled over, you sit in the car and wait for the officer to approach you. You don't reach for things, you don't bend down where they can't see you, and you certainly don't get out of the car to confront them. This is for their safety. When someone jumps out of the car, that is seen as confrontational, and when it's the passenger, they very well may be trying to distract the officer from something the driver is doing. There's no need for a passenger to do anything but sit still and wait since a traffic violation is between the cop and driver.

Some how this has gone off on a blame placing tangent.

It started as placing blame, except you want to place blame on the cops for doing their job when the rest of us see it from a less emotional perspective that what she did was considered confrontational.

Pass these articles along to help her understand what to do in the future.
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-do-i-handle-a-police-traffic-stop.htm
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/266231/what_to_do_during_a_traffic_stop.html

Vanadium 50 said:
I took driver's ed in the US almost 30 years ago. Back then we were told to stay in the car and to do otherwise would probably be interpreted as threatening by the officer who pulled you over. So while it may not have always been the norm, it has for maybe 1/3 of the time we have had cars.

Thirty years ago one could get out of the car and walk to a safe area away from the road. Officers saw this as a courtesy. At that time the most likely event would be that the officer would be struck by on coming traffic; for that matter it still is.

It seems some people have missed the point of the OP.

I don't believe the concern was in relation to the individual officer's behavior but rather that society has reached a point where such a reaction is a necessary part of self survival. No-one doubts that it is a fact police officers in the US have genuine concerns for their safety during a traffic stop situation but as I understood it the OP simply expressed regret the level of violence in the US necessitates such a reaction.

In countries such as Ireland the idea a motorist would do violence to a police officer who pulled him/her over isn't even a consideration in the officer's mind as it just doesn't happen so if you want to sit in your car, get out or even dance a jig it's up to you :biggrin:

edward said:
Thirty years ago one could get out of the car and walk to a safe area away from the road. Officers saw this as a courtesy. At that time the most likely event would be that the officer would be struck by on coming traffic; for that matter it still is.
That's what I was taught, and that was what some friends who were officers told me to do. That has apparently changed for most police departments.

In fact I did once get pulled over, and when I got out of the car, the cop yelled at me to get back in the car, and I complied. I was simply doing what I had been taught. When the rules change, they are not usually posted.

Last edited:
Well maybe not Ireland now but Northern Ireland in the past :eek: but that's the same sense I took from the op. That an officer might have to behave in that way because of the chances of a threat to him, because of the dangers that exist in the US to police officers. I think the sad thing is there's not much you can do about the sort of culture that exists in the short term, and nothing much you can do about gun culture anyway. At least that's the impression I get from people in the US.

AFAIK there are no hard and fast rules in the UK. Get out stay in the car, so long as you're not acting in a threatening manner either is acceptable I think?

Moonbear said:
And that is my point. She's living in the US now, not England, and needs to familiarize herself with the differences in the rules, just as it would behoove someone who moved from the US to the UK to know what is different there...if the custom in the UK is to get out of the car during a traffic stop to ensure the officer you have no intention of driving off as he approaches, then they would only have themselves to blame for not learning this before getting behind the wheel if they found themselves getting into more trouble for appearing defiant in staying in the vehicle rather than getting out.

Nicola has learned about America the hard way. At that point she hadn't been here long enough to learn all of the nuances of American society. There is nothing in the DMV manual on the "traffic stop protocol".

It was not. If she is unaware of one set of conduct, it's a good chance she's unaware of others. She needs to educate herself on what is expected in the place she's living so she doesn't wind up in more trouble. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break it.

This was not ignorance of any written law.

And you're accusing me of mean-spirited comments?

Yes definitely. Your comment was directed at an individual soon to be member of my family. My comment was directed at an entire group of people. Mine was true as I have seen them run from vehicles. Your comment was based on speculation.

No, it has been the norm for at least the 20 years I've been driving. When pulled over, you sit in the car and wait for the officer to approach you. You don't reach for things, you don't bend down where they can't see you, and you certainly don't get out of the car to confront them. This is for their safety. When someone jumps out of the car, that is seen as confrontational, and when it's the passenger, they very well may be trying to distract the officer from something the driver is doing. There's no need for a passenger to do anything but sit still and wait since a traffic violation is between the cop and driver.

Everyone denies that we have accepted an increased level of violence, yet you describe all of the potential, yet once common occurrences that could result in a violent confrontation.:rolleyes:

She didn't jump out of the car, nor was she running. Why do people keep exaggerating her action?

It started as placing blame, except you want to place blame on the cops for doing their job when the rest of us see it from a less emotional perspective that what she did was considered confrontational.

No, I wanted to express how we have slowly come to accept violence and potentially violent situations as being normal. The incident with Nicola only emphasized the issue. If a young woman from England is terrified by the routine actions of American police it makes the case for my point.

For that matter some of the comments here have proven my point.

Pass these articles along to help her understand what to do in the future.
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-do-i-handle-a-police-traffic-stop.htm
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/266231/what_to_do_during_a_traffic_stop.html

Thanks for the links

If you want to avoid putting a traffic cop on high alert, as soon as you are pulled over you should put on your warning flashers and shut off the engine. Then sit still until he or she can approach the side window and can see what you are doing, then comply with their request for license, registration, insurance card, etc.

When I was in driver's ed, there were no warning flashers on cars, and I was taught to have my license and registration ready to hand to the officer by the time he got to my window. Secondary roads in those days did not have break-down lanes, so the cop had to stand in the road unless you had a wide, solid shoulder to stop on, and it was considered a courtesy to have these documents ready. These days if you lean over to the glove compartment before the officer gets to your window, chances are he/she is going to go to a heightened state of concern because you may be reaching for a weapon.

I fully expect that typical video game addicted teens have a Glock stuck at their head and their brains splattered onto the sidewalk a few times every week.

I think due to a small population and strict gun controls there isn't any kind of problem like this dealing with Australian police. Just appearing lucid and compliant is probably the most important thing, but it's still a bad idea to go leaning around inside the car when they can clearly see you through the windows. It might be unlikely you're reaching for a weapon (not inconceivable) but you look like you're hiding something.
Often it is good to have at least some idea why you've been pulled over, I think it is communicative to be somewhere on the officer's train of thought from the start. And beyond all else he or she is a fallable human armed with a powerful firearm, so it's just good policy to remain conscious of your movements and appearance.

That being said I've always been able to be jovial with officers and found being pulled over even interesting, with few exceptions probably related to a high workload I think. I've found some police are very reasonable and easy going in general when an honest attitude is carried, you can just let your guard down no problem.

edward said:
Yes definitely. Your comment was directed at an individual soon to be member of my family. My comment was directed at an entire group of people.
Anyone else find this one funny?
Everyone denies that we have accepted an increased level of violence, yet you describe all of the potential, yet once common occurrences that could result in a violent confrontation.:rolleyes:
You have admitted that you don't actually know if this is true, so you should stop saying it unless you prove it. The statistics are relatively easy to find.
She didn't jump out of the car, nor was she running. Why do people keep exaggerating her action?
Speaking of exaggerating, are you sure the gun was pointed at her head and not her torso?
No, I wanted to express how we have slowly come to accept violence and potentially violent situations as being normal. The incident with Nicola only emphasized the issue. If a young woman from England is terrified by the routine actions of American police it makes the case for my point.
All the incident proves is that she is naive and ignorant of how things work in the US. She learned a hard lesson.

edward said:

Just to be clear no general police officers in England carry firearms, the only police officers that do are attached to specialist units such as anti-terrorism units or firearms units, which deal with firearm related incidents. This is partly because there is only prevalence of gun crime in large cities, particularly Manchester and London, and even then it is small scale. And it's also because most police officers voted not to carry firearms on duty, IIRC about 10% of those who said they did not want to be armed said they would leave the force if they were made to carry firearms. Gun crime over here is so small scale it simply doesn't warrant police officers being armed on a regular basis.

I've got to say that when I got my driver's license over 30 years ago, it was common knowledge that you remained seated and had your license and registration ready to hand to the officer. Now, in the US, unless you have no contact with the outside world, you know to not only remain in the car, you know not to make any moves within the car.

The officer was following standard procedure, from what you have written.

I had a police officer point a gun at my head while I was taking a shower inside my house. Turns out my then 2 year old daughter had dialed 911 to test it (they had given instructions to the toddlers at her day care the day before) and when the 911 dispatcher only heard breathing on the phone, a police officer was automatically dispatched to my address. Since I was taking a shower upstairs, I did not hear the officer knock. My door was unlocked so he entered the house and came upstairs to the bathroom when he heard water running.

So, I'm showering and suddenly the bathroom door flies open and I hear shouts of "police officer, police officer', I open the shower door to stare into the barrel of his gun. I was surprised, to say the least, and the officer look startled and just asked if I was ok. Then we pieced the events together and had a good laugh.

He was just following procedure, he had no idea what the situation might be. I found out later that the elderly couple next door were outside when the officer pulled up and he told them to run for cover. I was definitely not upset about it and surely what I went through would probably freak more people out.

I have never lived in an area where you needed to lock your doors, heck, sometimes I'd find my keys on the roof of my car the next day where I laid them when I was unloading groceries. I'd never been around guns or violence, so I am sorry, but she does seem a little overly tragic.

Last edited:
so, evo, the point of the story is: that you leave your door unlocked when you take a shower?:smile:

rewebster said:
so, evo, the point of the story is: that you leave your door unlocked when you take a shower?:smile:
Try keeping your house doors locked when you have a couple of children running in and out all day.

well, around here, from what I've heard, 911 calls back, or tries to call back, to find out what's going on-----

I've never had children and I'm not a woman---so I can't answer to that