1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Violin String & Vibrations

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A violin string is vibrating at a frequency of 880Hz. How many vibrations does it make when the sound produced travels 332m through air at temperature of 0 degrees Celsius.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not quite sure how to solve this equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2016 #2
    Hi @Sace Ver:

I have some problems understand what the question means. The word "it" seems to be referring to the violin string, which makes no sense.

So, I am guessing the question intends to ask how many wavelengths of sound appear in the air between the violin and some target 332m away. You need to find the speed of sound in air at 0 degrees C. I suggest you should also assume sea level and standard atmospheric pressure. I assume that how to do that is in the textbook you are using. Can you then calculate the number of wavelengths given the frequency, speed, and distance?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Jan 19, 2016 #3
    After obtaining speed which as you said was 332m/s I'm not quite sure which formula to use next.

5. Jan 19, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So what is the wavelength in air?

6. Jan 19, 2016 #5
    Hi @Sace Ver:

You should find the Wikipedia article
    helpful, especially the section 10.2 Other methods. Note that Wikipedia gives a slightly different value for the speed than 332 m/s. I suggest you use the value from your textbook because that is probably what your teacher expects.

Regards,
    Buzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted