Who were the earliest known makers of the violin?

Euler (1707-1783),... From Encyclopaedia Britannica (subscription access):Euler is credited with introducing the concept of a function and writing f(x), which is the classic notation for a function (and called the "Euler Function Notation"). He also introduced the modern notation for the trigonometric functions, the letter e for the base of the natural logarithm (now also known as Euler's number), the Greek letter sigma for summation and the letter i for the square root of -1. In summary, The relation between integrals and the sound holes on the violin is still up for debate, but some theories suggest that the shape of the sound holes may have been influenced by the integral
Icebreaker
Does anyone know the relation between integrals and the sound holes on the violin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Icebreaker said:
Does anyone know the relation between integrals and the sound holes on the violin?

What, the way that the F-holes look like an integral sign?

Yes. I read somewhere that they were incorporated onto the violin after some violin maker was impressed with calculus. But I can't find the source.

james stewart's calculus text has a violin or something on the cover. seeing that cover for the first time was the first time i noticed that. it made me think that math is 'musical' in some (superficial) way, the way it looks on the page or something like that.

edit: on second thought I'm not sure that i believe that. euler was the first to use a stretched-out latin summa for an integral sign (i think) but he was around after the old-school baroque violins were made & they had the same soundholes as later ones. i think that's all true but i may be wrong. if i am wrong i'll of course look like a total bull****ter lol.

Last edited:
I should think Mentor Integral would know the history of the symbol, when it first came to be used.

Icebreaker said:
I have seen papers on vibration analysis of violins in which they discuss the formation of chladni pattern formations at various resonant frequencies. From what I remember, the sound holes seemed to always be enveloped by the nodal lines. They didn't seem to cross them. I am not sure if that is coincidence or not. But by the looks of it, the general envelope of where to put the holes is somewhat driven by the tuning of the top and the "integral" shape came from stylization that was popular in the day. I will have to keep digging on this one. Interesting question.

EDIT: Aquick Google came up with this link:
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/chladni.html

It doesn't exactly reference a direct expalination, but I think it's a start. I'll have to read the whole thing later.

Last edited:
If Euler was the first to use the stretched out S, then it was probably the other way around, that Euler used the shape of the violin sound holes. Then again, it could be a coincidence.

I've sent a email to this gentleman. I bet he knows the answer, hope he's not on summer break
http://www.ecu.edu/physics/George.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
My professional bass guitarist roommate isn't sure but thinks its stylized based on a treble clef symbol. We think the area of the hole probably matters because it needs to let a certain amount of air move in and out, but other than that the geometry shouldn't matter.

Professor of Physics
East Carolina University
Howell Science Complex

Hypatia,

I wish I could enlighten you and your folks about this but no one really
knows many details about the origin/originator during the 1500-early
1600 period of many of the things we accept as commonplace today. This
includes f-hole shapes, which are quite variable and certainly not
always f-shaped. In fact modern makers often change proportions to suit
their personal whims - and in some cases this significantly affects the
sound. So seeing integral signs prior to actual integrals is probably a
vapor state pursuit.

George

Thank you for answering George.

That's a nice letter.

What, though, does he mean by a "vapor state pursuit"?

The f-hole shapes were made befor the integral, so the pursuit of this is not realistic?

lol Now I wonder if the person who made the integral sign, got it from the violin?

It is a very eye pleaseing shape

hypatia said:
The f-hole shapes were made befor the integral, so the pursuit of this is not realistic?
It sounds like a physics term he is using to indicate that there may not be any single actual origin, no one violin or violin maker you could point to and say "Here we have the first, classic violin sound holes."
That's my impression, but I need to know if there is actually such an endeavor in physics as a "vapor state pursuit" and what the attendent difficulties are, to be sure I'm understanding him.
lol Now I wonder if the person who made the integral sign, got it from the violin?
Fourier jr said it's the greek symbol summa, stretched out:
fourier jr said:
euler was the first to use a stretched-out latin summa for an integral sign (i think)

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
Fourier jr said it's the greek symbol summa, stretched out:

I'm pretty sure summa is latin. Summa, which means "sum," was written with a stretched "s" (the integral sign)
[tex]\smallint \text{VMMA}[/tex] (perhaps something like this?)
while the modern day "s" was used as a terminal "s" (that is, used when the "s" sound ended a syllable). The greeks have something similar: sigma [tex]\sigma[/tex] and terminal sigma [tex]\varsigma[/tex].

well I asked up in the physics threads..maybe someone will help us with "vapor state pursuit".

Sounds like he's saying: trying to relate the f holes to the integral sign is wrong since the holes existed before the sign... Its a fruitless endeavor or a vapor state pursuit. In other words a waste of time.

Another thought may be that since the f-holes were created so long ago that the original reason it was selected has since been lost or changed. Much in the way and story is changed over time after being told many times by many people. Hence the information is in a vapor state.

Last edited:
thanks for the imput :smile:

Jelfish said:
I'm pretty sure summa is latin.
"...but, for mine own part, it was greek to me."

Casca in Julius Caesar
Act I, Scene II
by William Shakespeare

Jelfish said:
I'm pretty sure summa is latin. Summa, which means "sum," was written with a stretched "s" (the integral sign)
[tex]\smallint \text{VMMA}[/tex] (perhaps something like this?)
while the modern day "s" was used as a terminal "s" (that is, used when the "s" sound ended a syllable). The greeks have something similar: sigma [tex]\sigma[/tex] and terminal sigma [tex]\varsigma[/tex].
Looks like you're more or less right about all this:

Integral Sign -- From MathWorld
Address:http://mathworld.wolfram.com/IntegralSign.html
The stretched out S to mean "summation" is due to Leibnitz.

Musical Instrument Q & A: Violin
Address:http://www.oriscus.com/mi/qa/violin.asp

Origins of the violin
Q:I am a violinist and I am interested to know about the history of violin: who was the inventor of the first violin (I suppose the first maker of the violin is unknown.). My sister is a flutist. She is 12 and she is researching about the same thing - the history of violin - for her school. She goes to a French school and therefore she needs this information in French. She tried hard to find the information but she didn't succeed.* Quebec* 1/20/2004
A: This is a complex question that depends on what you define as a true violin. As you suspect, the violin was not so much invented as evolved from precursors. It is widely accepted that the concept of bowed instruments began in the Middle East around 1000 AD. The essential shape we know as a "modern" violin became standard in Italy around 1550, but may have evolved as early as the previous century. At the time there were many variations on bowed instruments (largely classified by whether they were played on the shoulder or on the lrgs - viola da bracchio or viola da gamba), but the violin family eventually took prominence. Among the earliest "great" violin makers beginning from around 1540 were the Amati family: Andrea Amati, his brother Nicolo, and Adrea's sons and grandsons.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the sound holes on a violin?

The sound holes, also known as f-holes, serve two main purposes on a violin. First, they allow the sound to escape from the instrument, creating a more resonant and audible sound. Secondly, they help to balance the vibrations of the strings, resulting in a more even and balanced tone.

2. How do the size and placement of the sound holes affect the sound of a violin?

The size and placement of the sound holes can have a significant impact on the sound of a violin. Larger sound holes typically produce a louder and more resonant tone, while smaller sound holes can create a softer and more delicate sound. The placement of the sound holes also affects the balance and projection of the sound.

3. Are sound holes necessary for a violin to produce sound?

While sound holes play a crucial role in the sound of a violin, they are not the only factor. The shape, size, and material of the violin's body also contribute to the sound. However, without sound holes, the sound of a violin would be significantly muted and less resonant.

4. Can different shapes of sound holes produce different sounds?

Yes, the shape of the sound holes can affect the sound of a violin. F-holes are the most common shape and are known for producing a more focused and powerful sound. However, some violins have other shapes of sound holes, such as circular or heart-shaped, which can produce a slightly different tone.

5. Do sound holes serve any other purpose besides improving sound quality?

Besides enhancing the sound of a violin, sound holes also play a role in the aesthetics of the instrument. The f-holes are an iconic feature of the violin and contribute to its recognizable shape. Additionally, the sound holes allow for air circulation inside the violin, which helps keep the instrument from warping or cracking due to changes in temperature and humidity.