Are Vipers Taking Over Ski-Tracks This Spring?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, vipers are a type of venomous snake that can be found in ski areas if their natural habitat overlaps with the location of the ski-tracks. They are attracted to warm, sunny areas and can be dangerous to humans due to their venom. If encountered on a ski-track, it is best to slowly back away and avoid disturbing the snake. Keeping ski-tracks clear and educating skiers on safe wildlife interaction can help prevent vipers from becoming a problem.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Vipers infesting ski-tracks!

The uncommon warmth this March has lured the vipers (Vipera Berus) out of their winter lairs, and they now infest our ski-tracks, wiggling over our skis if we stand still for just a second.
Our country is becoming dangerouser and dangerouser..:frown:
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/oslo/Se-opp-for-huggorm-i-skiloypa-6794570.html#.T3Nhp9WfZnA

Physics news on Phys.org

The vipers are pretty, and "Everybody's got to be somewhere."

What are vipers?

Vipers are a type of venomous snake that belong to the Viperidae family. They are typically characterized by their long, triangular heads, retractable fangs, and ability to deliver a potent venom.

How do vipers infest ski-tracks?

Vipers do not intentionally infest ski-tracks. They may be found in ski areas if their natural habitat overlaps with the location of the ski-tracks. They are also known to be attracted to warm, sunny areas, which may include ski-tracks.

Are vipers dangerous to humans?

Yes, vipers can be dangerous to humans. They have venom that can cause serious injury or even death. However, they will typically only attack if provoked or threatened. It is important to stay away from vipers and to seek medical attention immediately if bitten.

What should I do if I encounter a viper on a ski-track?

If you encounter a viper on a ski-track, the best course of action is to slowly back away and give the snake plenty of space. Do not try to touch or disturb the snake in any way. If you are concerned about the safety of others, you can notify the ski patrol or other authorities.

How can I prevent vipers from entering ski-tracks?

Since vipers are attracted to warm, sunny areas, keeping ski-tracks clear of debris and maintaining a clean and organized ski area can help to reduce the likelihood of vipers being present. Additionally, educating skiers on how to safely interact with wildlife can also help to prevent vipers from becoming a problem in ski-tracks.

Back