Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virginia Tech - Counselling documents

1. Aug 20, 2009 #1
    Could his counseling be improved?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8211289.stm

In above, they assumed that he did not intend to kill himself because he said so. But, I think it is quite obvious that anyone would say that to avoid mental hospital.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2009 #2
    Who knows? The article makes no specific mention of how he was treated or what transpired in counseling, beyond the cursory fact that he went to counseling, assured staff he was no suicidal and was released the next day. This is meaningless without further context.

Honestly this article seems little more than a media tactic to suck a few remaining dollars out of a dead story in the absence of real news.

4. Aug 20, 2009 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, junglebeast. We're supposed to make conclusions about Cho, or the quality of his counseling, based on a single-sentence quote?

- Warren

5. Aug 20, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

And highlighting the problematic nature of interpreting that...
    Where, exactly, are you seeing that? From what I see, they make no specific judgement on that, but do recommend further treatment due to depression.

6. Aug 20, 2009 #5
    I agree I interpreted it bit wrong.

I was looking
    where I thought

is that evidence.

And,
    for concluding that his treatment might not be good.

7. Aug 20, 2009 #6
    You can not simply hold someone against their will. You have to have damn good reason to do so. Whether or not a person saying "I am not going to kill myself" is good enough to release them is legally irrelevant. Whether or not they had evidence that was good enough to continue holding him is the only real determining factor.

8. Aug 20, 2009 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well who knows? You might be right that that's where it came from. In that case, the reporter read too far into it! (though the statement by the reporter isn't all that strong*). Who says reporters are smart?

*And then:
    Right, so the statement that they found no evidence might only be saying that they have no justification for holding him and not have anything to do with whether the counselor actually believes he is or isn't suicidal. That kind of wording is probably very precisely chosen - the counselor really doesn't have the latitude to express much of an opinion there. There are guidelines for how they can act and what conclusions they are allowed to draw.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook