1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Virginia Tech Physics?

1. Jan 20, 2017 #1
    So I have already committed to going to Virginia Tech. I have focused my whole associate degree in mechanical engineering around me going to Virginia Tech and studying engineering.

I am now considering majoring in physics, but with VT pretty much being my only option for schools (going to UVA means taking like 6 extra liberal arts classes that I really don't feel like taking), I feel like I am in a bad position.

I am wondering how good VT Physics is? I currently have a 3.97 in my associates of mechanical engineering and I graduate this semester, so I think I will be able to go to a very good grad school as long as I keep it up when I transfer. I just want to make sure that I'm not screwing myself over by going to VT for Physics instead of engineering.

I am interested in astrophysics and cosmology

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2017 #2
    VT is a fine choice for Physics, and it is one of the better schools for Physics in Va and in the entire southern US. I love the location also.

I'd be happy for any one of my own children to major in Physics or Mech E at VT. So your choice is really about your long term goals and the balance between career options and grad school paths with the undergrad degree you choose.

Graduate with a 3.97 GPA in Physics from VT, and add some research experience and good recommendation letters along the way, and I think you'll have a good shot at a number of top 20 grad schools.

4. Jan 20, 2017 #3
    I took many courses in Physics, Aerospace Engineering, and Electrical Engineering throughout the 1980's -1990's. VT is a very good university for Physics, and Engineering. It has a good reputation. It will be a physics training for any grad school in the country, (psb world) if you desire further education.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted