1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virginia tech

1. Jul 22, 2006 #1
    I wanted to know what you think about virginia tech, I live in egypt and my college is offering a master's from there and I'm strongly considering it.
    so if someone has been there can you plz tell me how is it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2006 #2
    I have no personal experience with virginia tech, but from what I hear it is a very good engineering school. I don't know more than that.

4. Jul 23, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I attended Virginia Tech for my undergraduate degree (BSEE). It is one of the best schools in the country, with an engineering program consistently in the top 15 or so. There are an enormous variety of well-funded research projects there, and VT continues to develop into one of the premier research institutions in the world.

The only drawbacks, in my opinion, are: (1) The town, Blacksburg, is very small, and rather far from any big cities. If you like big-city life, you will not enjoy Blacksburg. It's a neat experience to live in a town almost completely composed of college students, but I found myself wanting more culture experiences than such a small town could offer. (2) The weather can be quite cold there in winter. Normal snowfall is probably in the range of 2-6 feet per year, usually in three or four storms throughout the winter. I'm not exactly a winter person, and found it to be a bit cold for my liking.

- Warren

5. Jul 23, 2006 #4
    Thank you chroot for your reply, the things you mentioned wouldn't be a problem since VT gives me the option of taking the whole Master's degree here in my college with prof. flying to Egypt to give the lectures or by means of video conferencing, although I'd prefer the other option which is to spend one year at my college and the other at US.

chroot my problem is that the Master's degree in Egypt typically range from 300-1000$ a year, but the VT program is going to cost 12,000$ a year and that in Egypt is a small fortune, so I was asking if it's worth the money, I mean does it have a strong reputation in the job market that will make employers consider me more than someone else.

thanks

6. Jul 23, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

abdo375,

As I said, VT is one of the top 10 or 15 engineering schools in the US. It definitely has very strong name recognition in the US, and will definitely help you get a job in the US. On the other hand, if you intend to remain in Egypt, I really do not know how well VT is known there.

- Warren

7. Jul 25, 2006 #6
    Thank you very much chroot & jbusc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?