1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virginia Universities

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    I am a community college student, that will be soon transferring into a Virginia University. However, I am uncertain which university is best. I want to pursue a major in mathematics and physics, and I have been considering either Virginia Tech, or University of Virginia. I am uncertain which has a better program for these (although I am assuming Virginia Tech), or if there are other universities in Virginia that would be an even better option.

Thank you for your suggestions, and information.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2
    Hey,

My suggestion is to talk to a couple of the mathematics/physics professors at your community college and see what their opinions are about UVA vs VT for a mathematics/physics major.

In addition, contact the departments!

Most mathematics/physics departments are always looking for a few more mathematics/physics majors and would probably be more than happy to answer your questions.

Finally, consider contacting some of the students, either undergrad or grad and ask them about their experiences and fields of focus at that university.

In addition, I am sure you are already aware of the tranfer articulation agreements for the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) which make the transfer process more seemless for the Virginia CC student. These are nice to keep in mind when applying to either.

Also, consider the following mathematics competitions since you are mathematics major,

The Virginia Tech Regional Mathematics Contest
    http://math.vt.edu/events/competitions/Vtregional/index.html

The National "Putnam Exam" offered by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
    http://math.scu.edu/putnam/

Lastly, if you can visit Virginia Tech October 20th, the Society of Physics Students (SPS) Zone 4 conference for the Virginia region and surrounding states will be happening that day with many undergraduates (physics majors) presenting at that conference. That should a good opportunity to get more exposure to the physics field and Virginia Tech (in all its physics goodness).

Best,

-PFStudent

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
    Unfortunately, Tidewater doesn't have any articulation agreements with Virginia Tech or University of Virginia. I think their agreements are with Old Dominion University, Longwood, and some other one, that I do not want to go to.

I have sent the departments e-mails a few times, but they have yet to respond. I was also considering William and Mary. I will continue to e-mail and look into their programmes, but if anybody has any other information, suggestions, or anecdotes, i'd love to hear it.

5. Sep 25, 2007 #4
  6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    This is fantastic. I appreciate your continued support and information. I had no idea this existed!

Thanks!! I will keep looking into this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?