Can You Spot All the Galaxies in This Virgo Supercluster Photo?

• Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photo
In summary, the speaker's goal for the next month or two is to stitch together a bunch of image stacks to get the entire Virgo region, with a total of 12 easily visible galaxies in one frame. They have obtained 3 different fields of view and need 8-10 more to fully cover the region, but this may be difficult due to weather conditions. They have also captured a large image of the region with 9 or 10 Messier objects and at least 100 NGC objects present. The speaker plans to post the full image to their blog. They then mention their next project of capturing the globular cluster in Hercules, and share a final assembly of the image with the 'siamese twins' galaxies and
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Virgo is favorably located right now (for me)- my goal for the next month or two is to stitch together a bunch of image stacks to get the entire region. Here's one 'frame' from last night, showing M84, M86, The Eyes, NGC 4388, 4402, 4461, 4458, 4477, 4459... you get the idea.

RGB-1_zpsmonkogi8.jpg

Likes artyb, e.bar.goum, davenn and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do I see 7-8 galaxies there?

a good bunch of little fuzzies :)

There's 12 easily visible galaxies in the image above. The faint lines are due to a passing airplane- 1 frame still has statistical significance! I've so far obtained 3 different fields of view, I think I need about 8-10 to really cover the region. This being cleveland, 8-10 clear nights over a 2 month period is not a sure bet... stay tuned!

Likes davenn and Drakkith
Yup. that's pretty cool :smile:

I can pick out an easy 15 fuzzies :)

That's one group I have yet to image

I only see like 12

Here's a first cut of the whole field of view, from 8 separate stacks fused together using Hugin:

virgo_filtered_small_zpsnr5dek3h.jpg

There's 9 or 10 Messier objects and at least 100 NGC objects present in this image. I'm still stacking some of the subframes and could acquire a few additional stacks around the periphery, but I'm not sure I'll have a chance before Virgo moves out of position... It's also about 10k x 12k pixels. I'll post the full image to my blog when it's done.

Next up... the globular cluster in Hercules...

Likes Drakkith
Here's the more-or-less final assembly, tweaked for viewing at highly reduced magnification:

virgo2x_zpszlmgtyzu.jpg

For reference, near the bottom-center is the 'siamese twins' pair of galaxies and near the top-center is M88.

Likes Drakkith
There appears to be a few galaxies there!

1. What is the Virgo Supercluster photo?

The Virgo Supercluster photo is an image captured by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) in 2005, which shows a portion of the Virgo Supercluster - a massive structure of galaxies that contains our own Milky Way galaxy.

2. How was the Virgo Supercluster photo taken?

The photo was taken by the SDSS telescope using a specialized camera called the Sloan Digital Sky Survey Camera, which is designed to capture detailed images of large portions of the sky. The telescope also uses a spectrograph to gather information about the light emitted by objects in the photo.

3. What is the significance of the Virgo Supercluster photo?

The Virgo Supercluster photo is significant because it provides a detailed view of the large-scale structure of the universe, showing how galaxies are grouped together in clusters and superclusters. It also helps scientists understand the distribution of matter in the universe and how it has evolved over time.

4. How many galaxies are visible in the Virgo Supercluster photo?

There are over 1000 galaxies visible in the Virgo Supercluster photo, ranging in size from small dwarf galaxies to massive elliptical galaxies. Some of the galaxies in the photo are over 100 million light-years away from Earth.

5. Can the Virgo Supercluster photo help us learn more about the origins of the universe?

Yes, the Virgo Supercluster photo is one of many tools that scientists use to study the origins and evolution of the universe. By analyzing the distribution and movement of galaxies in the photo, scientists can gain insights into the early stages of the universe and the forces that have shaped it over billions of years.