• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Virial equation of state

Homework Statement

It's just that in my textbook, for section titled "Second virial coefficients can be used to determine intermolecular potentials," I have an equation that I do NOT understand how it was derived---I tried to do it over and over, but couldn't quite figure how. If anyone could explain, thank you!!!

B2v(T) = RT * B2p(T), where B2v(T) and B2p(T) are virial coefficient

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the equation comes from Z, the compressibility factor:

Z = PV/RT, where it can be expanded to:

Z = 1 + B2v(T)/V + B3v(T)/V2 + ...
Z = 1 + B2p(T)*P + B3p(T)*P2 + ...

So, I equivocated 1 + B2v(T)/V + ... = 1 + B2p(T)P + ...
B2v(T)/V + ... = B2p(T)P + ...
...and tried multiplying both side by V or divide by P to cancel out other virial coefficients with numbers larger than 2 (meaning B3v and B3p), but I don't know how to progress anymore.......pls give me hints! I want to understand how the original equation B2v(T) = RT * B2p(T) was obtained!

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Perhaps the idea isn't to let all higher order terms cancel, just to equate the first order coefficients ?

Quantum Defect
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

It's just that in my textbook, for section titled "Second virial coefficients can be used to determine intermolecular potentials," I have an equation that I do NOT understand how it was derived---I tried to do it over and over, but couldn't quite figure how. If anyone could explain, thank you!!!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the equation comes from Z, the compressibility factor:

Z = PV/RT, where it can be expanded to:

Z = 1 + B2v(T)/V + B3v(T)/V2 + ...
Z = 1 + B2p(T)*P + B3p(T)*P2 + ...

So, I equivocated 1 + B2v(T)/V + ... = 1 + B2p(T)P + ...
B2v(T)/V + ... = B2p(T)P + ...
...and tried multiplying both side by V or divide by P to cancel out other virial coefficients with numbers larger than 2 (meaning B3v and B3p), but I don't know how to progress anymore.......pls give me hints! I want to understand how the original equation B2v(T) = RT * B2p(T) was obtained!
What happens if you use the compressibility (written in the volume version of the virial expansion) to solve for P. Take this series expansion for P and plug into the pressure version of the virial expansion. Compare this equation with the virial expansion in terms of volume. Coefficients in front of the same powers of 1/V must be the same for the two expressions to be the same:

A x + B x^2 + ... = alpha x + beta x^2 + ... is true iff A = alpha, B = beta, ....