1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virial Theorem

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Virial Theorem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle has a potential [tex]\lambda X^n[/tex] and Hamiltonian [tex]H = \frac{P^2}{2m} + V(x)[/tex]

Knowing that the commutator of H and XP is [tex]i\hbar(n\lambda X^n - \frac{P^2}{m})[/tex], find the average values <T> and <V> and verify that they satisfy:

[tex]2<T>=n<V>[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The question asked to calculate the commutator and that is what I found, but I'm lost as to how to get the average values and proove the inequality.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question doesn't actually ask you to calculate the commutator; it gives you the value of the commutator (though with a sign error; it should read ...-P^2/m).

The next step is to recall what the commutator of any operator with the Hamiltonian gives you (Hint: Heisenberg EoM). After that you just have to take the time average on both sides, and take the limit of loooong times.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  4. Oct 12, 2007 #3
    The question asked to calculate the [H, XP] commutator, I just didn't write it because I already found it and wanted to save time.

I'm not sure I understand the hint.

5. Oct 12, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For an operator A, that is not explicitly time-dependent, [itex](i\hbar) dA/dt[/itex] is equal to a commutator. Does that help jog your memory?

6. Oct 13, 2007 #5
    Thank you! I solved the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?