Virial Theorem

1. [SOLVED] Virial Theorem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle has a potential [tex]\lambda X^n[/tex] and Hamiltonian [tex]H = \frac{P^2}{2m} + V(x)[/tex]

Knowing that the commutator of H and XP is [tex]i\hbar(n\lambda X^n - \frac{P^2}{m})[/tex], find the average values <T> and <V> and verify that they satisfy:

[tex]2<T>=n<V>[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The question asked to calculate the commutator and that is what I found, but I'm lost as to how to get the average values and proove the inequality.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chegg
    The question doesn't actually ask you to calculate the commutator; it gives you the value of the commutator (though with a sign error; it should read ...-P^2/m).

The next step is to recall what the commutator of any operator with the Hamiltonian gives you (Hint: Heisenberg EoM). After that you just have to take the time average on both sides, and take the limit of loooong times.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  4. The question asked to calculate the [H, XP] commutator, I just didn't write it because I already found it and wanted to save time.

I'm not sure I understand the hint.

5. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For an operator A, that is not explicitly time-dependent, [itex](i\hbar) dA/dt[/itex] is equal to a commutator. Does that help jog your memory?

6. Thank you! I solved the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?