Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual alibi

1. Sep 17, 2004 #1
    I could hardly believe what I read. Maybe this is common, and everybody has his own. I just discovered.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Alibi
    If you speak french, you can already use it. Otherwise, they say they will soon be available in english, and also for Monique :tongue:

So the story is, they propose to send you an invitation for whatever you like (professional meeting, a congress, a party....) which you invented in an email. They can provide you a pretext to ... whatever you need. Cheat on your wife, not taking care of the kids saturday, you know what you need.

They go further. They propose to buy things for you, if you have any reason not to be registered in data files : hotels, plane tickets, rent car... whatever. You must, of course, provide the money.

They also propose to send you extras, so the story looks more likely : a phone call, a special tee-shirt, a fake picture, fake notes you are supposed to have taken during lectures :cry: (where is knowledge going) . Whatever, you pay, they provide.

Of course I guess the main use it to cheat on your wife/husband. But it is only limited by your imagination, and money. The world is all appearances and virtual now.

Stay tuned for the english version. :mad: :grumpy: :devil: :devil: :devil: :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2004 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just can't figure out why it's not Monsieur Alibi.

4. Sep 17, 2004 #3
    It is either a terrible coincidence, or men are cheater, .... , or women are so smarter than men, they needn't help to cheat :approve:

5. Sep 17, 2004 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I may need that for deciding not to attend a MANDATORY meeting with our company BIG WIGS this afternoon. :uhh:

6. Sep 17, 2004 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well, if you absolutely have to go to the meeting, here's a fun little game to take along with you:
    Buzzword Bingo

7. Sep 17, 2004 #6
    be careful !

I did not know MHI was such a tricker :surprised

8. Sep 17, 2004 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And, remember, hold your head up with the palm of your hand. If you fall asleep with your head propped against your fist, you leave the meeting with a big red spot on your face.

And that three finger thing, where the thumb is under the chin, the index finger runs up the cheek, and the middle finger holds the front of the chin. That never works. The middle finger inevitably relaxes, the knuckle just pushes one side of your lip up, and the index finger winds up pushing one side of your glasses up. People laugh at you the whole time you're sleeping.

9. Sep 17, 2004 #8
    ... such a pro. Impressive. BobG, I recommend more coffee for you. Maybe switch to expresso.

10. Sep 17, 2004 #9
    If anyone asks I was here all day. :tongue2:

11. Sep 17, 2004 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hate espresso.

The first time I went to Italy, I went over to the 'coffee' machine and all they had were these tiny little coffee cups. I finally found some real coffee cups over by a different machine. Took that back to the espresso machine and I had to hit the button about 10 times to fill the coffee cup.

But, boy was I awake after that!

12. Sep 17, 2004 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh nOOOOOOO!
    Did you look kinda like this -> :bugeye:

13. Sep 17, 2004 #12
    :rofl:
    BobG discovered real coffee in Italy ! Best place, great choice.

14. Sep 17, 2004 #13

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never got those tiny cups either. I know you need to take your espresso in small doses, but man, how can you drink out of those and not feel ridiculous? I suppose it must be a nice feeling deep down for some of the more petite among us, though. :biggrin:

15. Sep 18, 2004 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What was the trick? I thought it was a treat! :tongue2:

16. Sep 18, 2004 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always thought those cups were adorable! I feel like a kid again, playing tea party, when I get to use a real espresso cup. :smile: I guess men just don't appreciate that sort of thing. Actually, I used to joke around with a former lab member...big guy...he loved using all the largest glassware we had, would go to great lengths to get to be the one to make stock solutions for everyone in 4 L or 6 L flasks. I am totally the opposite. When I was in college, I loved all the analytical chemistry classes because I got to use itty bitty, adorable glassware. There is nothing cuter than a 5 ml beaker or a 10 ml erlenmyer flask! Oh, even better, a 5 or 10 ml volumetric flask! Awww. (I have one as a bud vase...is that too geeky or what?)

Anyway, onto alibis...I was actually thinking of something similar while watching one of those many cop shows on TV (Law and Order or CSI...that type of show). You know how they always wind up with some unfortunate suspect who was home alone watching TV the night of a murder and can't provide anyone to corroborate their alibi? I was wondering if chat rooms and internet forums would work as alibis?

For those long, boring meetings, perhaps a trick I used to use when sitting through boring lectures would help...I wrote letters. All those friends you should be keeping in touch with but don't have time, well, as long as they don't mind the letters being written on notebook paper, it works wonderfully. The professors thought I was diligently writing notes and I stayed awake to avoid embarrassing myself....

unlike my classmate in Multivariable Calc who always sat in the front row because he thought it would force him to pay attention and then fell asleep every single time, and the worst was he would start drooling! :yuck: Worth noting that class started around 8 or 8:30 pm and our university had 80 min lectures, plus the prof had an amazingly THICK Russian accent, so we spent more time just trying to figure out what he just said than actually learning Calc. That was when I started to miss the good old days of HUGE lectures where you could sneak into a different lecture than your own unnoticed if you got stuck with a bad prof. I did this for my Gen Chem classes...the two profs for the course had very different teaching styles and emphasized different things, and the one for the lecture I wasn't registered for just did lots of fun demos, so would you believe I went to BOTH sets of lectures? Since we had common exams written by both profs, it actually was helpful to hear what each of them emphasized, but probably somewhat masochistic on my part.

Okay, so much for my ramble down memory lane. :rolleyes:

17. Sep 18, 2004 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a clever idea! I mean, if you've got the time to attend two lectures and you really want to get everything you can out of a course - why not! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?