Virtual and real images

I don't understand what's meant by 'images can be caught or cannot be caught on a screen?'. Can we catch the pictures which are not live only???

Answers and Replies

Can you show a source for where your quote comes from? I'm not aware of it and don't quite understand it.

I also don't understand your question. We can only record what the camera can see, in that respect, if it is in front of the camera and within its spectrum we can record it.

I don't understand what's meant by 'images can be caught or cannot be caught on a screen?'. Can we catch the pictures which are not live only???
I guess you are talking about real and virtual images.
Real images can be taken on a screen but virtual images cannot (directly).

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Virtual images cannot be 'projected' onto a screen. If you can see an image, though, it can be photographed.
I think this is just a matter of terminology and "caught" is not the best word to get the idea across..

So what is a virtual image then?

To me, a virtual image is everything on my computer screen now (and it certainly can be projected onto a screen - as it is doing now, and as it would do if hooked up to a projector).

Or are there some special definitions of 'virtual' and 'screen' at play here?

EDIT: I read the wiki.

So a virtual image isn't what I'm thinking of as 'virtual'. It is referring specifically to optics, which I feel is a detail that should be in the OP.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Light is actually coming from your screen - and it is actually an "object" rather than an image in optical terms.
The image projected onto a film screen is real. The image you see in a mirror is only there 'in your brain' because your brain makes the best sense of the light entering your eyes and tells you that there is a person standing somewhere buried in the wall of your bathroom. That's virtual.
Also, the image that is formed half way through a newtonian or reflecting telescope (or a microscope) is real because light actually passes through a real point in space; you could put a small screen there and there would be something to see.

These computer types have hijacked the word "virtual'. You can't trust anyone.

Likes amar malik
These computer types have hijacked the word "virtual'. You can't trust anyone.
Along with electronics, philosophy, mathematics, medicine, entertainment, education and business (according to wiki).

So I'd say my confusion is justified.

Likes sophiecentaur