Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual CD on HDD

1. May 24, 2003 #1
    Let say I have an installation CD of Microsoft office, which can autorun.
    How can I create a virtual CD on my hardisk , copy the whole contents of the CD onto my HDD.
    When I double click the virtual CD, it can autorun; and, I can also burn it onto a blank CD, duplicate it.

What software shall I use? Is there freeware of it? Where to download?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2003 #2
  4. May 25, 2003 #3
    can not enter the website,why?
  5. May 26, 2003 #4
  6. May 26, 2003 #5
    Thanks for the secondary links Kyle, I don't know why the DT homepage is down. Saint, let us know what you think of the programs and if we can further help you.
  7. May 26, 2003 #6
    I downloaded Alcohol 120%,
    it can create 6 virtual drives,
    the image file is saved in the format of MDS.

Thanks for your help.
  8. May 26, 2003 #7
    I used that once, didn't really care for it, but I never really gave it the time of day.
  9. May 26, 2003 #8
    Alcohol is just 3.4MB large, easy to install and use.
    just put the CD you wanna backup into your CDROM,
    click "make image", specify image folder path, start !
    Then, right click your virtual drive, click "mount image", choose the MDS file you wanna mount, that's it.

Burning from image file to CDR also can be done by wizard, easy!

I'm happy with it.
  10. May 26, 2003 #9
    Hm....doesn't sound complicated enough:smile: You can't possibly use something if it doesn't take hours to figure out!

Heheh, I guess I really DIDN'T give it the time of day. I really like Virtual CD though. You just pop in the CD and click create Virtual CD and it takes you through a wizard with lots of options for ripping, such as modes to rip it in, error correction, etc. It mounts itself automatically, you can have as many drive letters as you want for Virtual drives, and you can even retain copyright information, I don't see this as a feature though:wink:
  11. May 27, 2003 #10
    I like alcohol myself, pretty simple, straightforward.

However, VirtualCD is much more powerful, and can support more devices. It's the way to go if you wanna keep a lot of CD's on your computer.

Just be sure to stock up on some 120gig HD's if you are gonna keep your collection there
  12. May 28, 2003 #11
    :smile: yeah alcohol is good,
    6 virtual drives are enough, you can mount and unmount easily.

What i did now is to copy my MP3 songs CDs into my HDD, and some favourite movies too (X-rated ).

in this way , i no need to load and unload CD/VCD.

my 100 GB HDD is enough, I have triple boots of windows ME/2000/XP plus Linux Mandrake 9.0
  13. May 29, 2003 #12
    i tried virtual CD 5.0, it is 5 times slower than alcohol to copy the same VCD.

14. May 29, 2003 #13
    I had much faster copying speeds with Virtual CD.

Although, if alcohol works fine then there is no reason to use Virtual CD, because you wouldn't need the extra options it offers.
  15. May 31, 2003 #14
    I prefer CD Anuwhere , But unfortunately , it's not free.
    It's really cool , you can creat unlimited number of Vertual CD's , and you can change the Vertual CD contects easily , also , you can work on those Vertual CD's under the compressed size , so you can save HDD space , but will make programs slower .
  16. Jun 17, 2003 #15
    Nero burning rom also can create image file on HDD, but it can not be mounted, therefore it is better to use alcohol to create image file on hdd as backup of your CD, at the same time it can be mounted as virtual Cd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?