Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual Observatory

1. Jun 22, 2005 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Are you too lazy, or cheap, to buy a decent telescope, set it up and cruise the night sky? But would still like to cruise the heavens from the comfort of your recliner with a fresh cup of herbal tea in your non-clicker hand? Here is your chance:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2005 #2
    Thanks Chronos, great freeware. Most of those are actually virtual planetariums though, I didn't see any true VO's. Actually, I don't know of any free virtual observatories for the general public.

slooh.com has a pretty cool voyeur-style free trial membership though.
  4. Jun 22, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Try Stellarium.
  5. Jun 22, 2005 #4
    Great link. I always wanted a computer-based software of this type.
  6. Jun 22, 2005 #5
    In Stellarium , I guess the Heisenberg's Uncertainity Principle is quite applicable.Because when you zoom in to see a star closely , it starts moving at enormous speeds , and I could never see the star properly.

I guess when you view the stars from quite a distance, they seem stationary , as you close on them , they seem to start moving more rapidly.Ofcourse the star has been moving at the same speed irrespective of , from what distance we are viewing it.

Aactually , when we are viewing it from a large distance , the stars seem to be stationary relative to others, but when viewed closely , the other celestial bodies are out of view and we see that star has speed up.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?