1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual Observatory

1. Jun 22, 2005 #1

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you too lazy, or cheap, to buy a decent telescope, set it up and cruise the night sky? But would still like to cruise the heavens from the comfort of your recliner with a fresh cup of herbal tea in your non-clicker hand? Here is your chance:

http://freeware.intrastar.net/planetarium.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2005 #2
    Thanks Chronos, great freeware. Most of those are actually virtual planetariums though, I didn't see any true VO's. Actually, I don't know of any free virtual observatories for the general public.

slooh.com has a pretty cool voyeur-style free trial membership though.

4. Jun 22, 2005 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try Stellarium.

5. Jun 22, 2005 #4
    Great link. I always wanted a computer-based software of this type.

6. Jun 22, 2005 #5
    In Stellarium , I guess the Heisenberg's Uncertainity Principle is quite applicable.Because when you zoom in to see a star closely , it starts moving at enormous speeds , and I could never see the star properly.

Jk.

I guess when you view the stars from quite a distance, they seem stationary , as you close on them , they seem to start moving more rapidly.Ofcourse the star has been moving at the same speed irrespective of , from what distance we are viewing it.

Aactually , when we are viewing it from a large distance , the stars seem to be stationary relative to others, but when viewed closely , the other celestial bodies are out of view and we see that star has speed up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?