Virtual Particles: Sources from Leading Universities

In summary, virtual particles are particles that exist in the quantum vacuum and cannot be directly observed. They are created by energy fluctuations and interactions between other particles. Under certain circumstances, they can become real particles. In particle physics, they play a crucial role in explaining the behavior and interactions of particles. In everyday life, they affect phenomena such as the stability of atoms and the properties of materials, but their effects are only noticeable at the quantum level.
cliffreich
Hello there,

I have to do an essay for my university class, and want to use virtual particles (or virtual eletrons)... And i want to know if people here have good sources (good universities) about this issue.

Thanks all

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hello cliffreich! welcome to pf! :smile:

if you must, a good start is do a tag search on this forum for "virtual particles"

but i strongly recommend that (if you don't already know all about them) you choose something easier and less mathematical :wink:

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are particles that exist in the quantum vacuum, which is the energy-filled space that makes up the fabric of the universe. They are constantly popping in and out of existence and cannot be directly observed.

2. How are virtual particles created?

Virtual particles are created by the energy fluctuations in the quantum vacuum. They can also be created by interactions between other particles, such as during high-energy collisions.

3. Can virtual particles become real particles?

Yes, under certain circumstances, virtual particles can become real particles. This can happen when they gain enough energy from interactions with other particles, allowing them to break free from the quantum vacuum and become observable.

4. What is the role of virtual particles in particle physics?

Virtual particles play a crucial role in explaining the behavior of particles and their interactions in the quantum world. They are also important in understanding phenomena such as the Casimir effect and Hawking radiation.

5. How do virtual particles affect our everyday lives?

Although virtual particles may seem like abstract concepts, they actually play a role in many everyday phenomena. For example, they are involved in the stability of atoms, the behavior of materials, and the properties of empty space. However, their effects are only noticeable at the quantum level and do not have a direct impact on our daily lives.