Virtual Particles: Positive or Negative Energy?

In summary, there is a discrepancy between the common understanding that particle-pairs created in the vacuum consist of a particle and its antiparticle with positive energy, as dictated by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. However, in the case of Hawking radiation, one particle is often referred to as having negative energy, causing confusion. The truth is that particle pairs can consist of both positive and negative energy particles, as explained in the paper "Resolving the Puzzle of Negative-Energy Particles in Hawking Radiation" by the speaker.
Hymne
I often read that particle-pairs that are created in the vacuum consists of a particle and it´s antiparticle which both have an positive energy that is "borrowed" from spacetime according to Heisenbergs Uncertainty principle.
But when it comes to Hawking radiation one often refers to one of the particle as a negativ energy particle, which is very confusing :confused:.
What is true, does particle pairs consist of positive-energy particles or on positive and one negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it.. The thread can be thrown away.

And? What is your answer?

BTW, I am just writing a paper that should resolve the puzzle of negative-energy particles in Hawking radiation. But don't ask me about that before I write it.

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are subatomic particles that are constantly fluctuating in and out of existence. They are not observable in the traditional sense, but can be detected through their effects on other particles.

2. Do virtual particles have positive or negative energy?

Virtual particles do not have a defined energy. They are constantly fluctuating and can have varying amounts of energy, both positive and negative.

3. How do virtual particles affect the energy of a system?

Virtual particles can temporarily borrow energy from the vacuum of space and add to the overall energy of a system. This effect, known as vacuum energy, is a key component of quantum field theory.

4. Can virtual particles be observed in experiments?

Virtual particles cannot be directly observed, but their effects can be observed and measured through experiments, such as the Casimir effect.

5. Are virtual particles important in understanding the fundamental forces of nature?

Yes, virtual particles play a crucial role in quantum field theory and are important in understanding the fundamental forces of nature, such as the strong nuclear force and the electromagnetic force.